This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

Comments

• Love it. You have a great design sense. I think the texture looks awesome. MAYBE a bit too strong in the red...thing on the black thing. Depends on what effect you're going for. I like it, though.
    "If I could only rip two days away..."
  • Nice. Looks like a cool children's book. What's on March 13? Or March 9?
  • Nice. Looks like a cool children's book. What's on March 13? Or March 9?
    Nothing, I was making that date up while working on this piece, but on Monday I will get my iPhone 3GS.

Anyhow, is there any chance of seeing new awesome art from you? Or is your comic finally close to being released?
  • edited July 2009
    Anyhow, is there any chance of seeing new awesome art from you? Or is your comic finally close to being released?
    Heh, thanks for asking. :) I actually have no idea when the project I've been working on will be released. I've kinda been in limbo, waiting for new script pages. Last I heard, it was supposed to be out for San Diego Comicon, but I don't know. Right now, I'm working on a tryout for another project. If I don't get it, I'll post those pages.

I should probably try to do more finished art. I draw for hours every day, even if I'm not drawing pages, but it's all just scribbles for practice and learning. Nothing worth showing. What the hell -- here's a scribble page from the other day. You can click it for a version closer to actual size, if you're interested. I...draw a lot of heads.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I was about to make a work in progress or 3d thread but I chickened out. I'm going to be working on something in 3d but I don't want to make a thread just for myself so I'll post it here... in the "finished art" thread even though it's not going to be "finished" any time soon. Would anyone else contribute to a work in progress thread? Oh and btw nice work Jain/ Gomi/ funfetus!
    So I'd like to work on some 3d to expand the portfolio. I have a BFA in 3d art that I never really used. I decided to redesign my unused thesis characters. So here's the first step of that.
    Old (6 years old?) art on the left and new design on the right.
    I always loved that fishy character.
    edited July 2009
    Fishy girl with wooden sandals and a lime slice for a hairpin?! AWESOME! NOMNOMNOM SUSHI!
    Post edited by ... on
  • YES! Those are awesome, Mankoon. That character is friggin adorable.
  • She's dressed like sushi in the second image. It's very cute, but makes me think of sushi and makes me hungry. Damn you!
  • Sushi musume!? I love it!
    I wanted to make a whole planet without using any texture as an overlay, but the clock caught up with me so I made the best with what I had, before falling asleep. I changed the whole thing a bit and put a strong texture over the whole thing.
    By the way, do you guys/gals consider using textures cheating? I mean they turn a rather bland vector into a good looking Illustration, without any real added work.

@Mankoon: Are you looking for the Art Attack (Concept Sketch Dump) thread? So you want to do the fishy charcter in 3d? Wow, I'm really looking forward to that.
  • I wanted to make a whole planet without using any texture as an overlay, but the clock caught up with me so I made the best with what I had, before falling asleep. I changed the whole thing a bit and put a strong texture over the whole thing.
    By the way, do you guys/gals consider using textures cheating? I mean they turn a rather bland vector into a good looking Illustration, without any real added work.
    This one, I'm not as into as your others. I don't know, it's not really reading as anything particular. As for textures, no, I don't think that's cheating at all. Depending on the look you're going for, textures are essential. Vector illustration by its nature is going to have a kinda sterile look. If that's what you want, awesome, but if you're going for something -- I don't know, warmer -- you NEED to put some texture on it. As long as you're using textures you have the rights to one way or another, I think it's fine. You're using what's available to make better art more quickly. Here's a webcomic that uses subtle textures over a very simple coloring job to great effect.

Honestly, I don't think there's much in art that's "cheating" other than ripping someone off.
  • I was about to make a work in progress or 3d thread but I chickened out
    No! Do eeeeet! Do eeeeet! I'll totally post in it. (Although I haven't been doing a lot of non-work stuff. Maybe I can post a teaser of my character I've been working on this week?)

Man, I need to post on conceptart.org more. Those board are rockin' (but kind of scary-good).
  • Lets see if you know this one:
  • Lets see if you know this one:
    No idea, however it is very nice. I take it you're enjoying cross-stitching. I have yet to do any pieces where I only use one strand of thread on the needle, but your piece still came out very well. I guess I like using two strands because it fills up the aida cloth so you really don't see the it.

Again, great job. I look forward to seeing more!
  • This probably looks pretty stupid if you didn't listen to the last Fast Karate.
  • edited July 2009
    This probably looks pretty stupid if you didn't listen tothe last Fast Karate.
    I haven't listened to that particular episode, however the image reeks of FKFTG. Have you posted this in their forums? Nevermind, you did. Good job.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
    I love you.
  • This probably looks pretty stupid if you didn't listen tothe last Fast Karate.
    Wow, great job Funfetus.
  • I was thinking about doing some mech designs for Atomic Warrior Valiant Denim around when they last did one of those shows. Maybe I should actually do it...
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks, guys.

@Li_Akahi: Do iiiiiiiiit! No excuses! Maybe you can teach me a bit about mech design.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • @Li_Akahi: Do iiiiiiiiit! No excuses! Maybe you can teach me a bit about mech design.
    I'm going to do it, but I have to listen to the episodes again before hand. I'm going to try to have some preliminary sketches by Otakon. Stay tuned!
  • edited July 2009
    Done at work while the IT guys were swapping a UPS about 10 to 15 minutes.
    I know the composition and anatomy are not that good, but its one of those things that just build up from a smaller thing. For those (I know two people here at least) who frequented the tavern, yes, its a lame and badly implemented ripoff not of style but just in aesthetic of a known artist ;)
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Funfetus- that's a new level of awesome!!!! I need to hear that episode of FK!
    Mr. Roboto: Those are some thick thighs.
  • He likes them squats a lot.
  • @Mr. Roboto -- I like it. The anatomy doesn't look too bad to me. It's not perfect, but it works. That's quite a bulge he's got there. What artists is it a "rip off" of?
  • Ty Dunitz, the man that draws the dudes with big bulges, long necks and weird muscles :)
  • Huh, never heard of him. Looked him up, and yeah, I can see the similarities.
  • Yeah that's why I said that you would know if you visited the sketchtavern (closed its doors about a month ago) often.
  • sketchtavern
    You actually just said "the tavern" which is a bit more vague. :) I did check out that site occasionally, but I was far from a regular. Sad to hear that it's closed.