This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

1. I've tried and failed once again. All of these awesome girls need to stop being so unavailable. However, on the upside, it is getting frighteningly easy for me to handle rejection.

Quoth, verily.
  • Life lesson #1: Passive aggressive people are not fun to date. Don't be one, and don't date one. Sorry to hear of your issues with the Girl, WindUp. Women are fucking crazy. (obligatory Kate-shield: Men are crazy too.)

That story about the girl saying she was leaving to elicit a request to stay is a perfect example. Girls and guys both do this pretty equally. People who are afraid of confrontation or have confidence issues very often take a roundabout, manipulative way to get what they want. It can backfire hardcore. My ex tried to guilt me into staying in a monogamous, long-distance relationship with him. He tried to do it by making comments about not trusting me. Comments like, "How do I know that's what really happened? All I have is your word." He was probably trying to get me to reassure him and promise to stay exclusive until he could learn to trust me again (which would never happen because he was insecure and trying to force monogamy without admitting it)... but I don't take that shit, and I told him if he didn't trust me then he shouldn't be dating me and then left for good.

Summary: When in a situation like this where the choices are (a) they truly mean what they say, or (b) they are trying to manipulate you, the proper choice is always to end (or not to pursue) the relationship.
  • Life lesson #1: Passive aggressive people are not fun to date. Don't be one, and don't date one. Sorry to hear of your issues with the Girl, WindUp. Women are fucking crazy.(obligatory Kate-shield: Men are crazy too.)
    Fucking humans, what the hell's wrong with you?!
  • Fucking humans, how do they work?
  • Dunno, something to do with magnets, I hear.
  • edited October 2010
    (obligatory Kate-shield: Men are crazy too.)
    Lol'd.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited October 2010
    ...it is getting frighteningly easy for me to handle rejection.
    This took a slightly more literal turn when I started working on this and then played Left 4 Dead 2 while listening to Those Whom the Gods Detest and Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole. I can't say that feel good right now, but I really don't feel too bad.

Nah, I feel good.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited October 2010
    while listening to Those Whom the Gods Detest and Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole.
    Yeah. I went with VSnares and the most sickeningly paranoid-depressive alcoholic black metal I could find. It helps a lot.

The title means "Let the Winter Last Forever."

On a more cheerful note, women seem to actually find me attractive now, and I actually still have some possible leads going on still. On Saturday, I'm going into Chicago with my little brother to get some pork belly ramen and duck dumplings. I am feeling pretty good.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • most sickeningly paranoid-depressive alcoholic black metal I could find
    Altar of Plagues. Trust me on this one.
  • However, on the upside, it is getting frighteningly easy for me to handle rejection.
    That's a pretty big bonus. So many guys don't even try because they're afraid of rejection. With that out of the way, you have nothing to lose!
  • That's a pretty big bonus. So many guys don't even try because they're afraid of rejection. With that out of the way, you have nothing to lose!
    That's the idea. Remember when I told you that I throw myself into awkward social situations to make up for lost time? That was one of my motivations. :P
  • edited October 2010
    Being cockblocked by another girl is tough on the self-esteem, being cockblocked by another girl twice in a row is just fucking ridiculous...

What is it with me and being attracted to soon-to-be-out-of-closet lesbians?
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • What is it with me and being attracted to soon-to-be-out-of-closet lesbians?
    It's the short hair. It gets me too.
    It's the short hair. It gets me too.
    Truer words haven't been spoken. I raise my glass to you, sir.
  • edited October 2010
    I am very much a fan of girls with boyish haircuts. It doesn't work on every girl, but when it does, it looks awesome.
    Post edited by Sail on
    See, what you need to do is find yourself a closeted bisexual girl, and then help her explore her bi side.
  • I am very much a fan of girls with boyish haircuts. It doesn't work on every girl, but when it does, it looks awesome.
    Jean-Luc Godard knows it, I know it too.
  • @ Nuri: The Kate shield wasn't that necessary. Unfortunately, I have met a lot more crazy women than crazy men. I think it is mainly owing to massive warping of female minds by societal pressures. I also think that our society is designed to cater to man-children, so their "craziness" seems less out of the ordinary.
  • I think it is mainly owing to massive warping of female minds by societal pressures. I also think that our society is designed to cater to man-children, so their "craziness" seems less out of the ordinary.
    Two very interesting points -- the first of which seems pretty obvious to me, but the second of which had never even entered my mind. Thanks very much for that.
  • think it is mainly owing to massive warping of female minds by societal pressures.
    Also, menstruation. Wildly fluctuating hormone cycles = crazy.

I know, I know, male hormones fluctuate too. I think the difference is that because ours aren't on such an obvious cycle, we tend to write them off more. Women have reliable hormone fluctuations, so we're exposed to it at regular intervals.

But societal pressure ain't helping the situation either.
  • Men bitching about it constantly is not helping. Man up. Both sexes can get bat-shit crazy with little to no provocation.
  • I am very much a fan of girls with boyish haircuts. It doesn't work on every girl, but when it does, it looks awesome.
    It's kind of like me and girls with weird coloured hair.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    I am very much a fan of girls with boyish haircuts. It doesn't work on every girl, but when it does, it looks awesome.
    Define weird coloured hair.
    Post edited by Geo on
    I agree wholeheartedly. Girl with hair dyed like red, blue, pink, or green (Ramona style) = instantly cute.
  • Define weird coloured hair.
    Any thing that is a non-natural colour. Double points if it's two colours that work together. If it's any more than that it starts to look like a unicorn vomited on their head.
    See, what you need to do is find yourself a closetedbisexualgirl, and then help her explore her bi side.
    Dude, what is it with you and this today?
    I can't tell you how many times I thought I had found a cute guy, and it turned out to be a tomboyish girl. My gaydar must be defective.

Not that I'm looking to date. At least not until I'm free.
  • Dude, what is it with you and this today?
    I'm a guy?
  • edited October 2010
    Can't tell you how many times I thought I had found a cute guy, and it turned out to be a tomboyish girl. My guydar must be defective.
    FIFY
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • Dude, what is it with you and this today?
    We had lunch earlier. I'm sorry. :(