This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Whoa! I really didn't remember it that way. I really believe the first thing I said was "Hi my name is Ametto. What is your name?". I don't recall asking you about Karl until Sunday.

I guess we'll never know what happened that day.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • Nice, I don't think I ever got the explanation on how Cat and Karl got together.
    That isn't even that story. That story is even more elaborate. It's also the story of how I alienated myself from Conrad by accident. I'll tell you next time we're together. :P
  • Nice, I don't think I ever got the explanation on how Cat and Karl got together.
    That isn't even that story. That story is even more elaborate. It's also the story of how I alienated myself from Conrad by accident. I'll tell you next time we're together. :P
    I want to hear this story.
    Ask me next PAX.
    Ask me next PAX.
    That's like forever from now. I'll get it from you sometime when we're not working. Who knows when that'll be. :(
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOO! DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING HE SAYS!
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOO! DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING HE SAYS!
    Well I guess you'll just have to come to PAX East and tell your side of the story. :P
  • I didn't even know you knew Conrad, how did you alienate yourself from him?
  • Not a story for the whole internet, I'll tell it next time I'm up in NY.
  • Abovementioned roommate is now in Florida, studying birds.
  • Why not look for romantic partners based on your musical taste?
    This is an idea that cannot possibly go wrong.
  • edited May 2012
    Met an awesome girl tonight at a Rock Band Bar thingie (Tuesdays at Village Pourhouse in the East Village! Stop by if you have decent taste in music!). Was smitten when I saw her sing Alanis Morissette on-stage, was intrigued when we talked about being Polish. Was smitten when she told me about her current job restoring and appraising 19th century books for the New York Public Library. Was a little terrified when I found out she had the same name as my mom (it's something somewhat rare, so I've never encountered that before).

No, I did not get her number... Yes, I will be at Village Pourhouse next Tuesday hoping to see her again (as well as to play Take on Me)...
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Met an awesome girl tonight at a Rock Band Bar thingie (Tuesdays at Village Pourhouse in the East Village! Stop by if you have decent taste in music!). Was smitten when I saw her sing Alanis Morissette on-stage, was intrigued when we talked about being Polish. Was smitten when she told me about her current job restoring and appraising 19th century books for the New York Public Library. Was a little terrified when I found out she had the same name as my mom (it's something somewhat rare, so I've never encountered that before).

No, I did not get her number... Yes, I will be at Village Pourhouse next Tuesday hoping to see her again (as well as to play Take on Me)...
    Didn't realize you were a New Yorker! I might consider stopping by after work, but really we should hang out at the next NerdNYC Board Game Night.
  • Man we live in the age of social media, just stalk her name out and see if she has a online presence.
  • edited May 2012
    So I've been at the OKCupid thing for about 3 months now. I've messaged I think about 30 girls give or take and met 3 in person. So about 1 date a month. Is this good? Bad? Average? I have no idea here.
    I can't really be the only one who thinks there should be a separate thread, a podcast, or maybe even a geekchat workshop on these, can I?

I'm just certain that a little constructive criticism would be very helpful with these things.

Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • So I've been at the OKCupid thing for about 3 months now. I've messaged I think about 30 girls give or take and met 3 in person. So about 1 date a month. Is this good? Bad? Average? I have no idea here.
    I can't really be the only one who thinks there should be a separate thread, a podcast, or maybe even a geekchat workshop on these, can I?

I'm just certain that a little constructive criticism would be very helpful with these things.
    You may find that the OKCupid subreddit is useful for this sort of thing.
  • We need a GeekChat on this stuff. We can share ou strats, war stories, etc.
  • We need a GeekChat on this stuff. We can share ou strats, war stories, etc.
    I maybe interested in this one.
  • So I've been at the OKCupid thing for about 3 months now. I've messaged I think about 30 girls give or take and met 3 in person. So about 1 date a month. Is this good? Bad? Average? I have no idea here.

You may find that the OKCupid subreddit is useful for this sort of thing.
    I understand what you're saying here, and you're right for the most part. However, I don't want some lunatic I don't know critiquing my profile.

I know and trust people here. That's why I think something like a dating site workshop would work here.

• I understand what you're saying here, and you're right for the most part. However, I don't want some lunatic I don't know critiquing my profile.

I know and trust people here. That's why I think something like a dating site workshop would work here.
    Oh, sorry, I should have clarified. I wasn't necessarily recommending posting your profile for critique, more just that they have lots of tips and discussion about what works, what doesn't work, and what is generally frowned upon in online dating. For that, it can be very useful.
  • Didn't realize you were a New Yorker! I might consider stopping by after work, but really we should hang out at the next NerdNYC Board Game Night.
    Do it! Also, I haven't been to a NerdNYC Board Game meetup, although I am thinking of coming to this one. I need an extra fix of nerderies, especially since Recess was canceled...
    Man we live in the age of social media, just stalk her name out and see if she has a online presence.
    Well duh. I actually just found her this morning. Turns out we didn't have any friends in common, despite being in the same group for the thing.

Also, still doesn't solve the situation of whether or not I should sweat her having the same name as my mom...
  • Also, still doesn't solve the situation of whether or not I should sweat her having the same name as my mom...
    What 'situation?' You hang out, see if it goes anywhere, and you'll form a new association with the name with time.
  • I understand what you're saying here, and you're right for the most part. However, I don't want some lunatic I don't know critiquing my profile.

For what it's worth, I'm always happy to look at people's stuff and give you critique from the female perspective. (Which I'm sure Joe knows by now after my rundown of his profile.)

For what it's worth, I'm always happy to look at people's stuff and give you critique from the female perspective. (Which I'm sure Joe knows by now after my rundown of his profile.)

Yes, you pointed out some things that I honestly had no idea could be anything other than good.

It's a bit like those guys who put up pictures of themselves aiming guns. Guys might think that's cool, but women might have different ideas.
  • edited May 2012
    How has is everyone doing in their dating lives so far? I've just jumped into the OkCupid ocean, but I'm incredibly inexperienced with this online thing. Still, I'm putting myself out there, so we'll see what happens.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • edited May 2012
    Pursuing a cute little Columbian woman with a cute little baby. She's coming around.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I need to hop back into the dating game, been mainly focused on obtaining a new job. With possibility of moving to potentially another state or country would rather wait until the move has been set before going all in again.
  • Same old, same old, really. No notable developments.
  • Still with mah lady. 7 Months as of today (yesterday technically). We met on OkCupid, so I can attest for that website's potential. Just takes time.