This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• I look better now than I did five years ago. I'm actually hoping that trend continues for at least another five years.
  • geography is a bigger barrier then relationships ever were :-p
    Only for me. >_>
  • The friendzoning topic reminded me of this.
    See more on Know Your Meme
  • That image made me realize there's probably a fetish for inserting coins into girls.
  • Is anyone actually on the side of "Friend zones exist" in this conversation?
    Was the conversation about the exsistance of a "Friend zone", or was it about how bitching about being "Friend-zoned" is bullshit?

Was the conversation about the exsistance of a "Friend zone", or was it about how bitching about being "Friend-zoned" is bullshit?

The debate arises from two sources, as near as I can tell:

1. differing definitions of what "friend zone" actually means, and what the ramifications are
    2. some dudes are assholes and think paying dues means getting laid
  • What we're talking about is ladder jumping. :P
  • What we're talking about is ladder jumping. :P
    ABANDON THREAD

• edited August 2012
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Jesus fuck, that's a huge response. I probably shouldn't have used the term "Friend zoned", then.

We both went into the date, perhaps hoping for more than just a typical friendship. After the date, which turned out well and we had a lot of fun together, the other person removed a potential relationship from the table and mentioned remaining just friends.

I wasn't expecting any sort of sexual encounter, and I think it's perfectly natural to be disappointed by how the date ended up. We hung out and had a lot of fun, and the experience was great overall, but I'm allowed to be a bit bummed by this, dammit!
  • Jesus fuck, that's a huge response. I probably shouldn't have used the term "Friend zoned", then.

We both went into the date, perhaps hoping for more than just a typical friendship. After the date, which turned out well and we had a lot of fun together, the other person removed a potential relationship from the table and mentioned remaining just friends.

I wasn't expecting any sort of sexual encounter, and I think it's perfectly natural to be disappointed by how the date ended up. We hung out and had a lot of fun, and the experience was great overall, but I'm allowed to be a bit bummed by this, dammit!
    Made a new friend and is bummed out. Totally natural reaction you say...

Made a new friend and is bummed out. Totally natural reaction you say...
    If he was looking for a girlfriend...
  • BIGGER SOCIAL NETWORKS = more chances to meet chicks or dudes you are interested in.
  • Or significant other.
  • edited August 2012
    I have plenty of friends, and plenty of social networks. I interact with lots of geeky/awesome people all the time, but I can't just automatically get "close" to someone, since I can never be sure if they would be able to reciprocate in the first place.

I wouldn't really want to be in a relationship with the type of people that constantly hook up at clubs/bars, and local events/gatherings are filled with that very same level of uncertainty. When you FINALLY meet someone who is actually capable of reciprocating your feelings, AND heavily shares your interests, AND who you are personally attracted to, it is disappointing when they become just another friend.

Yeah, it's great that we're "friends". It's just really hard to find someone that even has the capability of being in a non-platonic relationship with me, so I think it's natural to be a bit disappointed by the fact that I ended up with just another friend.

Whatever, guys.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • *hard for me to find someone. Screw you, edit timer!
  • edited August 2012
    geography is a bigger barrier then relationships ever were :-p
    Fuckin' oath. Fucking. Oath.
    *hard for me to find someone. Screw you, edit timer!
    Being foreign is nice. Built-in icebreaker. I can just walk up to people and say "G'day!" and instant conversation. Works pretty well here, too - we're a talkative lot.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2012
    A female friend is going to Comic Con with me as Starbuck. I'm going as Jayne. Maybe I'll have that "we're friend but I dig you" discussion I described to Muppet and we'll make a tawdry fanfic. Jerkass merc with a soft spot for his moms falls for the hardass, cigar-smoking female fighter pilot with a heart of gold.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • You best be wearing the Jayne hat.
  • edited August 2012
    Shoot, gurl, you know I am. Bonus points because my mom actually knit that shit. I gave her the pattern you sent me and I got it for an early Christmas present a couple years back. It's been through 12 countries with me.
  • I like how it's knit by your mom.
  • A female friend is going to Comic Con with me as Starbuck.
    Which Comic-con? I assume you mean SDCC, but I can't help but hope you'll be at NYCC.
  • edited August 2012
    A female friend is going to Comic Con with me as Starbuck.
    Which Comic-con? I assume you mean SDCC, but I can't help but hope you'll be at NYCC.
    Chicago. I wish I could go to NYCC this year. Maybe I can make it during my gap year.
    I like how it's knit by your mom.
    I feel like it's more authentic that way.
  • Dating's tough, dudes!
  • Well, I'm sure the friendzone exists in some form, but like some of you have said it is often just guys reading to much into things.

Man, can't I just have some close female friends that I might occasionally have sex with? I know it sounds bad, but I don't want to be one of those guys out on a quest to get laid every weekend, but then again I'm not really looking for a relationship either. And I hate the term "friends with benefits" because it normally translates to "Fuck buddy" and having sex be the defining factor isn't what I'm looking for at all.
  • It works out with some people, and not with others. I have a few friends who I also have sex with sometimes.
  • Oh Justin...