This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• I think if she's cuddling with you, that's quite a step to say she has those feelings. Touch is huge as we all know, but with a friend of the opposite sex it feels like it shouldn't go farther than a long hong. If you guys are stuck together for assumably hours watching something then that's probably a big sign.
    Sigh... You kids and your lack of friendly contact of a non-sexual nature without reading deeply into it.

You can pretend that you can overcome your biological wiring, and with effort you probably can indefinitely, but why..? Cuddling between heterosexual members of the opposite sex is titillating. Pretending it's not titillating is dumb.
    Sure, but titillating doesn't mean auto-drama or implied relationship.

• I think it implies more than friendship but I guess that makes me old or misogynistic or out of touch or something. :-)
  • I think it implies more than friendship but I guess that makes me old or misogynistic or out of touch or something. :-)
    For me, that's part of friendship. Friends who aren't on the the level of being comfortable with a level of physical closeness are in a sort of second tier of friends.

For me, that's part of friendship. Friends who aren't on the the level of being comfortable with a level of physical closeness are in a sort of second tier of friends.

To each their own I guess. I'll just privately think that you're an asexual hipster. ;-)

Wait, we are second tier friends because I don't like to cuddle dudes?

Wait, we are second tier friends because I don't like to cuddle dudes?
    He said physical closeness. He'd probably accept a handjob in lieu of cuddling.

• Wait, we are second tier friends because I don't like to cuddle dudes?
    You hug. ;^)

I recall an era where people who met the crew at RIT (but weren't very close to us) were weirded out by the whole s/handshake/hug/g thing.
  • Wait, are we talking about hugging, or are we talking about the Peter Brady maneuver while watching Crank 2?
  • I think if she's cuddling with you, that's quite a step to say she has those feelings. Touch is huge as we all know, but with a friend of the opposite sex it feels like it shouldn't go farther than a long hong. If you guys are stuck together for assumably hours watching something then that's probably a big sign.
    Sigh... You kids and your lack of friendly contact of a non-sexual nature without reading deeply into it.

You can pretend that you can overcome your biological wiring, and with effort you probably can indefinitely, but why..? Cuddling between heterosexual members of the opposite sex is titillating. Pretending it's not titillating is dumb.
    Sure, but titillating doesn't mean auto-drama or implied relationship.

I am assuming a lot from what Ninjarabbi is doing, but I feel like prolonged cuddling probably indicates something. It is titillating, but doing it under his circumstances feels like it means more than it stays platonic. Can you say you've had more platonic cuddling than romantic?
  • I've definitely had more platonic cuddling than romantic. Sensuality can exist without an obligatory progression to sexuality.
  • Wait, we are second tier friends because I don't like to cuddle dudes?
    We are, Scott. I really am put off by the way you do not frequently force dudes to explore that vast forest that you wear on your chest.

Seriously though, I can't comfortably be friends with a dude who can only interpret hugs and other forms of affection in a sexual way. I think that says a lot about a person and how he views the opposite sex.

(It's okay if it's a lady, though. ;] )
  • If cuddling was always a sexual thing, I'd be a whore. I'm pretty sure I've cuddled with 90% of the humans I know.
  • edited August 2012
    I have a bubble that very few people are allowed to violate for very long. Third or fourth-tier friends at least, people I consider family. Or, you know, hot bitches.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • If cuddling was always a sexual thing, I'd be a whore. I'm pretty sure I've cuddled with 90% of the humans I know.
    Well you are super cuddly. Who could blame you, really?

• I find huggly people weird. I'm a salutes, high fives, fist bumps kinda person.
  • edited August 2012
    When I give hugs, I'm usually angling so that the other party doesn't get a boob squish.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • When I give hugs, I usually angling so that the other party doesn't get a boob squish.
    Flat girl perks!

• I wasn't saying it really meant anything, just that it was nice. Granted, it was a kind of small air mattress so some closeness was inherent but it was definitely more than a space issue. And also, I generally much like how walker does.
  • When I give hugs, I'm usually angling so that the other party doesn't get a boob squish.
    But boob squishes are cool :(
  • When I give hugs, I'm usually angling so that the other party doesn't get a boob squish.
    But boob squishes are cool :(
    And kind of inevitable when you're hugging someone like me, for that matter.

• edited August 2012
    I don't do physical contact not because of weird drama whatever, but simply because touching people in any capacity sets off this really loud buzzing in my head that just screams "NO WRONG BAD." It was more than six months before I was comfortable holding hands with my girlfriend.

My favorite thing about alcohol is that it makes that buzzing go away. The idea that I can tap people on the shoulder without feeling guilty for an hour afterward was so novel...
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • I guess that would come down to how you would define cuddling. I'm a really huggy person whose hugs last in the 3 to 5 second range. What would you say the threshold is for it turning into cuddling, the length or where your hands move or whatever?
  • Seriously though, I can't comfortably be friends with a dude who can only interpret hugs and other forms of affection in a sexual way. I think that says a lot about a person and how he views the opposite sex.
    Like what?
  • I view anyone willing to give me a hug as willing to have sex with me, including Pete.
  • Like what?
    Like that they possibly prescribe to ladder theory and that nonsense, which I don't normally attribute to functional people-types. :P

• <3 YES hoped someone would take a CSH cue.
  • I honestly can't tell if they're being satirical or not.
  • I wouldn't be that surprised if they weren't being satirical.
  • I was raised in a very cuddly family, where everyone was full of hugs and bunching up on the couch to watch movies, so most cuddles and physical contact strike me mostly as normal, platonic affection.