This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• Damn, woman, you negative. I get to spend time with somebody smart and attractive and watch a movie I've been meaning to see for a while. If enjoying that makes me 16 then fuck it, I'll stay in highschool and have interesting conversations with my pothead loser friends over good movies 'til I die.
    In my experience, smoking up and good conversation are mutually exclusive. The rest of it sounds fine. Do what you want, dude. You don't need my approval to have a good time. I just personally find that non-stoned people are better company.
  • edited September 2012
    Damn, woman, you negative. I get to spend time with somebody smart and attractive and watch a movie I've been meaning to see for a while. If enjoying that makes me 16 then fuck it, I'll stay in highschool and have interesting conversations with my pothead loser friends over good movies 'til I die.
    In my experience, smoking up and good conversation are mutually exclusive. The rest of it sounds fine. Do what you want, dude. You don't need my approval to have a good time. I just personally find that non-stoned people are better company.
    You're smoking up with the wrong people. ;)
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Gonna have to go with Walker on that one. In England, my housemates and I used to have legitimately good and useful conversations while high. Hell, even the non-smoking portion of the household agreed on the point.
  • edited September 2012
    Gonna have to go with Walker on that one. In England, my housemates and I used to have legitimately good and useful conversations while high. Hell, even the non-smoking portion of the household agreed on the point.
    I think Nuri was saying "You think you are having a deep and interesting conversation but to people who were not smoking, you probably sounded out of it and high" :-p

but I bet it has a lot to do with the initial intellect of those smoking more then the smoking part :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited September 2012
    Gonna have to go with Walker on that one. In England, my housemates and I used to have legitimately good and useful conversations while high. Hell, even the non-smoking portion of the household agreed on the point.
    I think Nuri was saying "You think you are having a deep and interesting conversation but to people who were not smoking, you probably sounded out of it and high" :-p

but I bet it has a lot to do with the initial intellect of those smoking more then the smoking part :-p
    Oh, I'm not gonna lie, we said a LOT of dumb shit too. More objecting to the mutually exclusive part. Having good smoking buddies is ALWAYS important, if you smoke with the wrong people(well, wrong for you, at least) it tends to suck.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So before Violin Girl came over last night, my friends and I cleaned up the apartment and one of them told me that I should at least clear off the figures and plushes from top surfaces of the bookshelves in my room to reduce the clutter and the, how can I put it best... intimidating nature of my room. I agreed that I should put away some stuff, the 18 inch, expensive Merida doll and the McDonald's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic figures being some of them, but I feel like I'm kind of cheating myself. Do you all think that I am not being true to myself by trying to hide some parts of me by putting them away to not scare off women? There are still figures and plushes in the room, but it just feels weird.
  • Someone having a problem with your random possessions tells you something about them, in addition to telling them something about you. My suggestion is don't worry about such small things, leave them out, and see what happens.
  • Hiding a part of yourself I feel is very common when starting a relationship. People are prone to make judgments based on the smallest things. As much as you may like MLP, a grown ass man collecting the figurines from McD's is going to be perceived as more than a little odd. It's not like you're gonna keep it secret forever.
  • I've always held to the philosophy that if you have something that you would be embarrassed to show anyone, then you should probably rethink your ownership of that object.
  • It was either Carla or Elliott on Scrubs that said "Dating is pretending to be someone you're not until you're comfortable enough around your partner to be yourself."
  • I think making your room less like what you want is bad, I think avoid areas that are specific to one of you until you're comfortable with each other. Pick more person-neutral areas.
  • We've mostly been hanging out at my friend's apartment as I met her through them, but last night was the first time that she came over to my apartment. We spent all of the time in the living room area, so shifting my room around became a non-issue.
  • I mean, do whatever feels best. If moving the stuff out of prominence in the room seems right, do it. Don't try to hide it, just make it seem less awkward, I guess. I dunno.
  • Ryan, let's be honest... unless you take down a ton of posters and really work at it, you aren't really going to hide much. Your room isn't subtle. But that's another thing; you aren't a subtle person. I feel like if a person can't handle you being honest about what you like and who you are, you shouldn't be dating them anyway. The Disney collector thing is sort of a big part of who you are and being under the table about it isn't really going to help anything in the long run.

Also let's face it, the people you live with generally think you shouldn't have so many figurines out, so they're probably just using the girl as rationale to a separate cause.

I should note that when I first started dating Chris, I intentionally wore baggy clothes and no makeup and didn't put effort into my looks or house at all so he's see me a mess before he'd see me really prettied up. If he could like me when I'm a mess, I figured that he sincerely likes me for me. It's a similar idea.
  • I should note that when I first started dating Chris, I intentionally wore baggy clothes and no makeup and didn't put effort into my looks or house at all so he's see me a mess before he'd see me really prettied up. If he could like me when I'm a mess, I figured that he sincerely likes me for me. It's a similar idea.
    Wish more girls did this.
  • Juliane on her first visit to my apartment: "Where are all your books?"

Some people may want more signs of geekery, and not less.
  • Depends on the specific signs. Books > pony figs...
  • Keep that shit on display. Wear it proudly. Be like, "Fuck yes I love Disney." Strike up a conversation about your favorite Disney princess.

If you're gonna be a geek, own it. Who knows, maybe she's hot for Disney. And is she freaks out, do you think it'd really work out anyhow.

In fact, not only should you not put stuff away, you should take a moment and figure out if your displays are prominent and neat. Fix and tidy them up. Maybe rearrange slightly.

Don't hide it, brah.
  • "If this girl isn't okay with my Rainbow Dash Japanese Love Pillow, it just wasn't meant to be."
  • I should point out that you're going to strike out a lot before you find a girl that is totally awesome (if you find her at all). I call it playing the long game.
  • "If this girl isn't okay with my Rainbow Dash Japanese Love Pillow, it just wasn't meant to be."
    The other side to that being, "If the girl is not worth getting rid of your Rainbow Dash Japanese Love Pillow."

I'm not saying you can't compromise, just don't make life imitate a romantic comedy. Sometimes I wonder if people have been programmed by the sitcoms they grew up with.
  • Yeah, to be honest, if she'd have asked me where my Rainbow Dash Love Pillow was, the date probably wouldn't have ended like it did.
  • Have we had this conversation before? Or am I having really specific deja vu for WuB's last post?
  • Have we had this conversation before? Or am I having really specific deja vu for WuB's last post?
    It's cyclical.
  • edited September 2012
    I'm usually a big fan of be yourself, but there is a limit...and a "my little pony" love pillow might be that.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • You shouldn't hide anything from a potential romantic interest, regardless of the level of geekery. Even if it's a freaky body pillow. Look at all the possible combinations. Notice how the first four not hidden ones are all positive outcomes while the other four are not so positive.

Not Freaky, Not Hidden, Likes it - The awesome person you want to go out with! Happy times!

Not Freaky, Not Hidden, doesn't like it - You didn't want to be with that person anyway.

Freaky, Not Hidden, Likes it - Two freaky people have found love. A miracle.

Freaky, Not Hidden, doesn't like it - You are a freak, and the person is right not to want to be with you. You are putting up a warning sign, and you should be. Thank you for letting people know to run away from you for safety.

=====

Not Freaky, Hidden, likes It - You may miss the chance to find out they are the awesome geek person because you didn't have your geek net in the water.

Not Freaky, Hidden, doesn't like it - So you might get this person to be with you for awhile, but it's all a lie. They will find out. Then it will be way more awkward than if they had known from the beginning. Meanwhile you wasted your time when you could have been finding geeky people.

Freaky, Hidden, likes It - You missed on the chance for the one person in the world who is into the body pillow because you hid it. Regret it until your dying day.

Freaky, Hidden, doesn't like it - You evil person you. Luring a normal person into your freaky trap by hiding your body pillow. Just wait until they find it. They will because body pillows are large. Then what? You'll get what you deserve, but you'll hurt this other person in the process.
  • Or the body pillow is something that doesn't really matter that much to you, you recognize that this might portray you in some light that might make a negative first impression, you throw it away before hand and meet a girl that you really like.

Then again the chance of you realizing that is sorta slim.

or your obsessive Robotech collection might have scared off the girl initially but after getting to know you, and being shown the show she gives it a chance and appreciates your blow up Minmei.
  • Or the body pillow is something that doesn't really matter that much to you, you recognize that this might portray you in some light that might make a negative first impression, you throw it away before hand and meet a girl that you really like.

Then again the chance of you realizing that is sorta slim.

or your obsessive Robotech collection might have scared off the girl initially but after getting to know you, and being shown the show she gives it a chance and appreciates your blow up Minmei.
    If you didn't really care about the body pillow, why the fuck did you have it in the first place?

Also, if someone will hang around long enough to absorb the things you like, that's effectively the same as if they liked them in the first place.

Also, great prank. Know somebody is bringing a date over? Get a body pillow, put some lurid stains on it, and plant it in their bed!
  • You're assuming that that single feature like/dislike is in itself the deal breaker. More than likely, if it's an issue and you want to continue the relationship, there's this thing called compromise. Maybe you want to be with a person more than a body pillow. Maybe you want to be with a body pillow more than a person. Maybe they want to be with you, and are willing to try to deal with your body pillow fetish.

... this conversation...
  • I thought you were the one who said you should never be attached to physical objects that are not people?