This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• Sounds like things turned out the best possibly way a break-up could. Good for you. :)
  • Told Jed's family formally that we were no longer together. Then we were free to tell the universe.

Wanna know how we both know this is right. We tried to kiss and it was VERY weird. Like that scene in Scott Pilgrim vol. 6.

I have a best friend and some time to enjoy the single life. :3
    I notice that I am confused. Weren't you engaged?

Also, congratulations! (Is that appropriate in this situation?) I am sure you made the decision that will make you happiest.
  • If everything fails, yell, "Smokebomb", and run away.
    I advocate the "Dick-in-a-box" tactic.

• Wanna know how we both know this is right. We tried to kiss and it was VERY weird. Like that scene in Scott Pilgrim vol. 6.
    Question, was kissing weird before you both called it off?

• Wanna know how we both know this is right. We tried to kiss and it was VERY weird. Like that scene in Scott Pilgrim vol. 6.
    Question, was kissing weird before you both called it off?
    No. Just now. Last night. We haven't kissed in at least two months while we were broken up, but I guess I wanted to see if something was still there. It wasn't and we proceeded to make derpy jokes about it.
  • Not my dating dilemmas, but my two roommates broke up yesterday. They're being civil, but I can tell the male of the pair is more or less completely broken. He was unstable before, but...I have bad expectations for his future. Thankfully, she was already moving out because her mom is crazy and bought her a house, so there's only another month of living awkwardness.
    They were almost together for four years, and if you knew them, you would've assumed they'd never break up, but I guess I've seen it coming for a while now.
    That's going to make the apartment next year very single and very blue-balled unless one of us gets a chance to step up to the plate.
  • In drama that is not my own, my adopted sixteen year old little sister thinks she's in love with a twenty-three year old. At first, I didn't want to judge anything on age. Then I met the guy. No sir, I don't like it.
  • In drama that is not my own, my adopted sixteen year old little sister thinks she's in love with a twenty-three year old. At first, I didn't want to judge anything on age. Then I met the guy. No sir, I don't like it.
    I am lucky that my sisters boyfriend despite being a year older than me is basically a labrador.

Also despite nearly accidentally killing her my girlfriend and I are arguing over whether Mildred Hubble was good looking or not. That is when we were younger not now as that would be odd, I mean now she is a fox. Apparently she was a bit rough, I choose to disagree and got hit in the dick, battle lines are being drawn.

• Asked a girl out, went for a hike. We snuggled up in a cave and smoked together. I said to her "hey, you're pretty cute, you know that?" her response was "did you think this was a date?"

Yeah. Yeah I did.
  • Asked a girl out, went for a hike. We snuggled up in a cave and smoked together. I said to her "hey, you're pretty cute, you know that?" her response was "did you think this was a date?"

Yeah. Yeah I did.
    Hmm. :-/
  • :( All my sympathies, you have them.
  • Oof. I felt that, right in the gut.
  • Oof. I felt that, right in the gut.
  • edited April 2013
    Oof. I felt that, right in the gut.
    :( All my sympathies, you have them.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • That is the fastest friendzoning ever!
  • *cue friend zone argument*
  • My general question here is how you asked her out.

If she was a straight dude, and you said the exact same words to that dude, would he take it as a regular invitation to go out and do something? Or were your words directly indicative of a date and something that would be weird if you were asking a straight friend?

If the first, you are at fault; a girl shouldn't have to assume every guy asking her to hang out is looking for something romantic. Be more direct if you want to go on a date with someone.

If the second, she is either not so bright or kind of a jerk.
  • It's worst when you're in the opposite situation, when you just want to hang out with someone in a friendly manner and then have to break it to them that it's not a date. It's not a fun place to be in.
  • I'm not going to elaborate on the context 'cause I don't like the blame-based approach you're taking. We both apologized and admitted to being kind of clueless then we had a good time. The particular scene I described tripped me out though.
  • It's worst when you're in the opposite situation, when you just want to hang out with someone in a friendly manner and then have to break it to them that it's not a date. It's not a fun place to be in.
    I am not sure if it worse but it is annoying and/or awkward but after happening enough times you get used to letting them know they misunderstood. It is a good idea to be stern so they know you have no give on the issue.
  • "Blame based approach?" Dude, if you don't figure out what went wrong with a communication, you can't fix it in the future. That's the only thing I care about when looking for who is at "fault." Since you can't make an agreement with someone you haven't hung out with yet, the most you can do is improve your own communication to the clearest level it can be. Past that, it relies on the other person.

If you don't care about doing that, then by all means ignore everything I said. It is only meant as an assessment tool, not a derogation.
  • edited April 2013
    Oh, well, she and I are both terrible communicators, but I've learned from the experience. Sorry for being snippy.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • So 16 year old little sister's 23 year old internet boyfriend apparently has an entire page of youtube videos bitching about his previous relationships and in some of them he talks about how girls his age just don't want what he wants anymore. He also seems very confused about differences between romance, love, lust, limerance, and other things. It really puts the whole thing in a completely predatory light now. And as an aside, he can't stand having a job and working for a living.

This is one of those drama situations I never get into, and I'm not sure what or how to deal with these circumstances. It's pretty rare I'm struck this way, as I usually have a Scott-worldian direct approach to all problems.
  • Give your sister condoms, cause holy fuck you don't want him knocking her up. :P
  • edited April 2013
    Whaaa? Show your sister the Youtube channel. Let her glean some insight into the mechanations of this man-child's mind.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Whaaa? Show your sister the Youtube channel. Let her glean some insight into the mechanations of this man-child's mind.
    This.
    I'd also ask her why she loves him. Get her thinking about the relationship. I wouldn't straight out tell her to end the relationship, somehow it makes people hold their beliefs more. Just let her come to her own conclusions.
  • Give your sister condoms, cause holy fuck you don't want him knocking her up. :P
    This is something I should just do anyway.
  • edited April 2013
    So little sister conversation doesn't seem particularly productive so-far. There's still more of it to come, but it's apparently hard to convince her that speaking as an adult male, I can see through a slightly less intelligent adult male being intentionally manipulative. He's completely transparent to me, her mom, and his own friends. Besides my sister, it also feels like he can't see through himself, though.

It's a Romeo and Juliet thing. And I'm Tybalt.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Does he use drugs or anything? Just get him busted on something. ;^)