This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• Huge fail: I was checking hostel reviews as part of my planning for the second half of my trip (London-Amsterdam). It's lucky I did; the hostel I booked in Amsterdam was reviewed as cramped, dirty, smelly, and crawling with bedbugs. Gads. So, I cancelled that reservation and made a new one at a hotel...Which also turned out to have a severe bedbug problem.

Huge Booh-Yah: I canned that, and stumbled upon a super-cheap (for New Year's, at least) reservation at a StayOkay (the Netherland's official hostel group) hostel just outside out Dam square in the heart of the city. It's recommended by Lonely Planet (who used the words "ultra-clean") and also has its own bike hire. Gonna be a cool way to end an awesome trip!

Still, fucking bedbugs, man. I'm going to start crashing in a sleeping bag liner treated with permethrin. Should probably treat my clothes, too...
  • When my dad went hosteling around Europe when he was young, my grandma made him a washable sleeping wrap which was like a sleeping bag with no padding. It prevented catching lice and stuff.
  • Fail: I seem to have vastly overestimated how busy the airport would be and breezed through security.

Booyah: BEER!!!!!!
  • Fail: I have to work on Christmas Day.

Booyah: I get Christmas Eve off, and Christmas Day is a later start at 3:30 PM, compared to the 1 PM and 2 PM starts lately

Booyah!: It's liable to be a light day, being right after a rush.

Booyah!!!: Who has two thumbs and is getting double pay for working Christmas? This guy. (b゚▽゚)b
  • Booyah: won a free game in the Steam holiday thing
    Fail: It's Virtua Fighter 2, currently valued at $1.49
  • Booyah: Made some crazy banana pancakes for breakfast
    Fail: Condensed milk isn't the best topping. I was overwhelmed by the sweetness
  • Lies. Dulce de leche is the best topping for anything.

Fail: Flew away from the sunny, techie wonderland of San Francisco, back to grimy, cold New York.
    Double fail: ...on a red eye.
    Win: Upgraded to first class at the gate for a stupidly cheap amount of money (something like $100).
    Double win: Borrowed a chromebook, which gave me +1 to Googling and unlocked the "free wifi" perk.
    Triple win: Browsing reddit with a glass of scotch is how flying was meant to be.
    C-C-C-COMBO WIN: I actually managed to sleep when I got home! Now I'm rested and happy.
  • Flew away from the sunny, techie wonderland of San Francisco, back to grimy, cold New York.
    Win!
  • Lies. Dulce de leche is the best topping for anything.
    Not Colombian arequipe. It's far too sweet for me.

• Fail: Almost had a TPK in DND Encounters tonight
    Boo-yah: I survived.
    Fail: I was over at work afterwards and people started shooting in the parking lot.
    Boo-yah: Neither I nor my coworkers were harmed.
    Fail: Two guys got shot.
  • Boo-yah: Marathoning Doctor Who
    Fail: Cleaning my room for New Years
    Boo-yah: I am half way there.
    Fail: My room is more messy than River Song's timeline
    Boo-yah: Series 6 makes a lot more sense as a marathon :P
    Fail: I was over at work afterwards and people started shooting in the parking lot.
    I'm sorry, WHHAAAAAAA????
  • Boo-yah: It's snowing outside my office.
    Fail: It's snowing outside my office.

• Boo-yah: I am half way there.
    LIVIN ON A PRAYER!
    I'm sorry, WHHAAAAAAA????
    Pretty self-explanatory, there was a shootout at work. Two guys got hit. Much adrenaline. I had the mallet all ready to go.
  • What sort of place do you work at?
  • What sort of place do you work at?
    Autozone. In a suburb that's been turning dark for several years but there's never been this kind of problem.
  • Buy yourself a pneumatic nail gun and keep it hooked up to the compressor.
  • edited December 2011
    Just FYI for everyone, when shooting starts you want to crouch down as close to the ground as possible, preferably behind a solid object of some kind. Don't lay flat on the ground as bullets tend to hug the ground when they strike it.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Crouching low also makes it easier to get moving if you need do. Unless you know Kung Fu, you're not getting up as quickly as you think you are from a fully prone position.
  • Just FYI for everyone, when shooting starts you want to crouch down as close to the ground as possible, preferably behind a solid object of some kind. Don't lay flat on the ground as bullets tend to hug the ground when they strike it.
    I was nowhere around when the shooting started, just saw some guys run across the street to my side as they were escaping. THEN there was more shooting, but not at us. Still adrenaline pumping because those guys probably saw me and could have opened up on me while I was outside.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to a Masquerade Ball for New Years with my best friend, and whenever there's a big costume-related event coming up, my brain gets in this SUPER FOCUSED SUPER DRIVEN MUST GET THINGS DONE mode. Which is extremely productive except... I'm already done with my dress, a fur drape I didn't plan for, a drape for my best friend too, and I practiced my hairdo and makeup. There's not a lot else for me to DO. I should really get to sleep, but my mind wants me to be sewing.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • Fail: I want bad things to happen to the fiance's sister and her significant other. Not terrible things, but just karma bad.
    Boo-yah: Bad things do happen to them, completely unrelated to me. Probably because they are Bad People.
    Fail: Now I feel bad.
  • Booh-Yah: Family came to see me in London for a week to celebrate Christmas and New Year's. We saw some great stuff, ate some great food, met up with some family friends, and generally had an awesome time.

Fail: They left around half an hour ago. Saying goodbye after seeing them for the first time in three months is really tough.
  • Booh-Yah: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
    Fail: Fuck, where did my weekend go? Hell, where did the past two hours go...
  • edited January 2012
    Booh-Yah: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
    I know that feel, man. That story is my head canon.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Booh-Yah: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
    I know that feel, man. That story is my head canon.
    I like it only about a million times more than the original story.

• Fail: <= 7 page Theology paper due tomorrow that I've only started today

Booyah: I'm feeling pretty good about it so far
    Booyah: for some reason he wants 1 inch margins (the default is .79 in.)
  • Fail: <= 7 page Theology paper due tomorrow that I've only started today

Booyah: I'm feeling pretty good about it so far
    Booyah: for some reason he wants 1 inch margins (the default is .79 in.)</p>
    You must using Libre/OpenOffice - the Word default is 1 inch IIRC. It's nice when you remember halfway through and realize that you have half a page less to write than you had at the beginning.
  • Bah word counts put a downer on all essays.