This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• Maximum word counts are worse - I slip into a groove near the end of the essay, stop counting, and suddenly find myself hundreds of words over the limit.
  • I don't get word limits, I get page limits. I once got in a fight with a teacher because I had shrinked the margins of my essay so that I could fit it all in. I ended up biting the bullet and losing the points for formatting instead of for content.
  • edited January 2012
    Bah word counts put a downer on all essays.
    "I'm done with my essay, but I still need 50 more words! Adjective time."
    Post edited by Snickety-Snake on
  • Yeah they are the bane of my life. Especially as we lose marks now for being a word over. On the face of it this seems simple but when you have a massive amount of information to try to put into 1500 words and the bloody thing has had fooking books written about the bloody thing! Sufficed to say I am not friend of Corinth at the moment.
  • Words is kinda stupid. Down here, they ask for pages.
  • Its an interesting thing. I've only really had word limits, I always felt that pages ended up with varying results. At least with words you know what you are getting yourself in for.
  • Boo-yah: Nuri, Pete, and I have polished off a bottle of Patron.
    Fail: tomorrow.
    Boo-yah: Archer Skytanic episode.
  • Boo-yah: Nuri, Pete, and I have polished off a bottle of Patron.
    Fail: tomorrow.
    Boo-yah: Archer Skytanic episode.
    Which type of patron was it?
  • You probably don't have much to worry about in the way of hangovers. They're actually caused mostly by the wood extracts aged beverages have.
  • Oh god I believe that. One of the worst hangovers I've ever had was when I drank nearly a whole fifth of Southern Comfort.
  • Oh god I believe that. One of the worst hangovers I've ever had was when I drank nearly a whole fifth of Southern Comfort.
    Whywouldyoudothat.jpeg
  • I've always been told it's mainly from dehydration, and it tends to be enhanced by drinks with more sugar and other non-alcohol ingredients - champagne and red wine have been called out as causing particularly bad hangovers.
  • Oh mans, the red wine hangover. I had half a jug of Carlo Rossi one night. The next morning I felt like my skull was an eggshell beset upon with jackhammers.
  • Oh mans, the red wine hangover. I had half a jug of Carlo Rossi one night. The next morning I felt like my skull was an eggshell beset upon with jackhammers.
    True shit - my regular hangovers, not so bad. Red wine hangovers? Fucking toxic.

Whywouldyoudothat.jpeg
    Well, it was over the course of a long night and earlier on I had the bright idea of taking a caffeine pill beforehand. I didn't feel it until it was waaay too late, and then I started playing the "I'll take a pull from the bottle every time someone else drinks" game. Yeah, bad idea. Most of a fifth and half a pint of schnapps later I never wanted to do anything ever again. So yeah, don't do that.

• Fail: Pete broke the couch.

Booyah: Took couch apart, went to store, got lumber and tools. Now have +1 couch of sitting.
  • It's not +1, you just removed the sitting penalty.
  • Boo-yah: made awesome marinated burgers for dinner
    Fail: Sliced my finger but good on the mandolin slicing potatoes
  • edited January 2012
    @Nuri
    Did you spring for masterwork?
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • It's not +1, you just removed the sitting penalty.
    It's +1 because it has an angle brace where there wasn't one before, thus rendering it more structurally sound. :P
  • Fail: Pete broke the couch.
    Peter urs Skiotha, Breaker of Couches and Men. He bears your Chesterfields and Divans upon his arms. Which one among you will offer him a seat?

• Huh. I've never had a hangover from red wine. When I questioned my dad about this, he said it's because "Italians have been drinking for thousands of years; northerners don't have it in their blood," but I think it's the fact that I'll never really have more than about half a bottle on any given night.

Whiskey gives me the worst hangovers, yet it's my favorite drink. CONUNDRUM.
  • Over Christmas, my family on my mom's side gave me part of my inheritance, which includes a few instruments. One is my Great-Grandfather Bop's second favorite violin (Lily) (I already have his favorite, Rose) (...yes, I name my instruments. With three violins, three clarinets, two oboes, and two piccolos that are mine, it makes things easier). It had fallen into disrepair because no one else in my family plays violin. Violins particularly must be played in order to be kept in good shape. So I got a bunch of new parts, some Fiddlebrite (polish/cleaner), and was waiting on a shipment of new strings so I could restring the whole thing with fresh, high-quality strings.

Well, today while cleaning, I found a set of nice strings tucked away in the back of my desk. Excited, I pulled out the stuff I had gotten to fix up the instrument and got to work on repairs. I got all the old strings off and all the wood polished up to a shine when I finally was to the point I could replace the fine tuners and realized...
    They don't work. There's pretty much no way to install them and they don't really look functional, either.

Here's a grainy webcam shot of a comparison of the old fine tuner I took off (left) and one of the new ones I don't know what to do with to make work (right).

The old one is rusted/corroded a fair amount, but the bigger problem is that there's only one of it. I COULD clean it, but I'll have to/want to go out and get fine tuners for the other three strings.

The one on the right is from the new set and I'm reasonably sure there's no way to get it to work properly on my violin. I'm at a complete loss not only as to how to install it, but also as to how it will have the range of movement necessary for tuning... notice how TINY it is and how it lacks the lever on the bottom like the old fine tuner has.

And it's not just that I had a weird tuner on this violin... my old violin has the same kind of tuners, and they were bought not but about 5-6 years ago (as compared to the old tuner, which has to be at least 50 years old).

Anyone know anything about violin tuners, think you could help me out?
  • Well, as a violist, I can tell you that fine tuners aren't very used nowadays anymore. Only for the A string (same goes for violins and cellos). Instead, what most advanced players do is make sure the tuners (not the fine ones) are smooth and sensitive enough to be able to change the pitch of the string without needing so. Anyway, when in doubt, it'd be better to ask a luthier.
  • I realize there are plenty of wonderful and talented violinists who play without ever touching a fine tuner and tune exclusively with pegs, but to be blunt and somewhat pathetic... I'm just not that good. Honestly. I tend to put myself down when it comes to musical instrumental performance, but this is just the truth. I don't practice enough and old instruments are temperamental enough I feel like I need the fine tuners in order to make constructive progress, and pleasing and enjoyable sounds.

That said, I've done more research and discovered that what I have is a set of "Suzuki" fine tuners, intended primarily for smaller instruments. Nothing yet about installation, but the google-quest is now a bit easier.
    ...I'm mostly finding violin forum rants about how Suzuki tuners suck, are hard on the instrument, and buzz terribly. I think that combined with the puzzling replacement problem has me turning to find a better alternative.
  • You know... I read that post and all I could imagine was a bunch of violinists snubbing their noses at some Suzuki ricers.
  • I see. Then again, not everyone has such a trained ear so as to use the larger tuners without the finer ones. Good luck with said tuners, Anrild.
  • edited January 2012
    Fail: Still struggling with the issue I've had since New Year's.

Booyah: After several years, I've managed to write a song again. Depression is at times a source for lyrical gold. http://sakihashimoto.deviantart.com/#/d4lduat
    Post edited by AndouReiya on
  • Booyah: Found a nice blue chair on the sidewalk that rolls, swivels, leans, and goes up and down, which will replace my old wooden chair as my computer seat.

Fail: I missed my first two college classes of this semester, and am now typing an email to my professors for how I can obtain the syllabus.