This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The thread where we talk about Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver

edited March 2010 in Video Games
Just acquired my copy of Silver. I've got a paper I have to do today, which could end up being a bad combination.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Ok friends, If I cannot get back into Pokemon with this generation, then I'm never going to. Here goes.

Also: Isn't "The thread where we talk about.." redundant? Also, considering this forum, soon to be highly inaccurate?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • When I finish my chemistry and english essays, then I will play pokemon, or will I finish pokemon and then do chemistry and english.
  • I can't find my version of Diamond, so I'm probably going to pick this up just so I can have my pocket monster action on the DS.
  • Picking up Soul Silver in about an hour.I'm going back to Pokemon. >.>
  • If I can find my DS charger, I may be tempted to pick this back up.
  • HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU PEOPLE PURCHASING GAMES IN STORES ON A SUNDAY?! WHERE IS YOUR SANITY?

In the meantime, give your reason for why you picked up the version you picked up.
  • I got Heart Gold because my roommate got Soul Silver.
  • I picked up Soul Silver because I like Lugia > Ho-oh.
  • I'll get Heart Gold because my copy of Gold no longer works. You should only buy this game if you really want to relive the magic of the Gold and Silver era of pogeymans.
  • I really like the Pokéwalker.
  • edited March 2010
    Here'sa thread for flashcart compatibility.
    My CycloDS pays off, as always. Although, a lack of Pokewalker makes a purchase (likely on Thursday) a possibility.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, my original Silver battery died as well. That was such a sad day. I also hold the belief that G+S are the best games in the series.

At what point in the game do you start being able to use the Pokewalker?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Did anyone else go to Toys-R-Us and get the mega bonus deal?
  • Did anyone else go to Toys-R-Us and get the mega bonus deal?
    Naw, what was it? All I got was a little Lugia figurine.
  • It was: Figurine, t-shirt, $5 gift card and a set of stylus/cloth/case.
  • The Pokewalker is ridiculously awesome.
  • It was: Figurine, t-shirt, $5 gift card and a set of stylus/cloth/case.
    Was the deal only for today or do you think I can still get it tomorrow?
  • The Pokewalker is ridiculously awesome.
    I'm pitching it to my wife as an exercise game. She is not buying it.
  • So who did you pick for your first Pokemon? Li, says via FB, that Cyndaquil is the best choice in Soul Silver. I'm leaning towards Totodile.
  • I chose Totodile.
  • The Cyndaquil line is the best fire Pokemon you will get for most of the game. Totodile is less useful because you have other strong water Pokemon options like Gyarados and Starmie. Chikorita has stats and moves more suited to being a defensive Pokemon which isn't great for beating the main game.
  • edited March 2010
    I did Totodile, cuz I always do the water Pokemon. Cyndaquil is a good choice in the short term because of the first gym, but it doesn't matter too much in the long run. It's like how picking Charmander makes defeating Brock really difficult in the first gen of games, but pays off in the end because fire Pokemon are fairly scarce in R+B.

[Edit] You guys beat me to it. But seriously, let's not kid ourselves, here. Water Pokemon rule, fire Pokemon drool.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Totodile is my absolute favorite starter, so naturally I went with it. But since I don't like Totodile's evolutionary line too much (Croconaw is all right, Feraligatr is ugly as sin) I'm heavily considering slapping an Everstone on him. He'll be weaker in the long run, but it'll add a bit of a challenge and allow him to stay cute and cuddly

Speaking of cute and cuddly, having a Pokémon walk behind you at all times is the best thing. I loved having Pikachu with me in Pokémon Yellow, so being able to have my favorite Pokémon walk with me is fantastic. I tend to stop and check on them every couple of steps to see what their reaction is. One that stands out is when my Sentret was holding an item- I tried to take it from him, and he got mad at me and refused to give it up.
  • Totodile is so cute. I named mine Riptide. ^_^
  • Feraligatr is badass as sin
  • edited March 2010
    Bought HeartGold because I think I must be one of the few people who likes Ho-oh more than Lugia. XD; Also because Gold was the version I played as a kid. I went with Chikorita as my starter for similar nostalgic reasons (it was my starter when I first played the original). Also, using it offers a greater challenge, and its evolutionary line is my favourite aesthetically (Typhlosion and Feraligatr both look like humpbacks with spikes jutting out of them, sorry guys :P).

I too am loving the Pokémon behind you at all times! There's so much variation in the actions and moods of the Pokémon, and the thought balloons are just adorable. <3 Will probably be trying out the Pokéwalker tomorrow, as it's a bit late to go for a stroll right now.

What's everyone's current working team so far? I've settled on a line-up of Chikorita, Geodude, Spearow, Spinarak, Wooper, and Mareep for now, though this is very much subject to change once I get past some new areas. Geodude and Spinarak are probably the most likely to get the axe if I want to switch someone new in. Of the non-starter Pokémon, Mareep is the most likely to stay in until the end of the game, because Ampharos is the business. B-)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I don't want to sound like a total nerd, but it might be too late: I like G+S because they are the only Pokemon versions to chronologically take place after R, B, + Y. The others happen concurrently. It also had a kind of dark or post-climax feel in Kanto because Red was up in some mountains, sick, Giovanni was dead, Cinnabar Island had erupted, the ghost tower had been turned into a radio tower, the poison gym leader retired, etc. I'm only working off memory so I might be wrong, but I like it this way better if it isn't

Also, Lance had the most awesome theme music when you fought him for the first elite 4.
  • No, I totally agree with you, Magnum. Going back to Kanto and seeing the aftermath made my world flip upside-down.
  • edited March 2010
    Here'sa thread for flashcart compatibility.
    My CycloDS pays off, as always. Although, a lack of Pokewalker makes a purchase (likely on Thursday) a possibility.
    Make sure you have it up to date, I'm using 1.58 Beta. There'll probably be a cheat code put out to simulate the Pokewalker.

I ended up with a male (?) Chicorita called Amadeus.
    Post edited by Omnutia on