This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The thread where we talk about Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver

Comments

• Every Pokemon game does. You can ignore it, but you can't escape it.
  • Do HG and SS have EV training and all that other BS?
    I wonder if I can just throw some hax at EV training with my Cyclo. I would just buy the game for a Pokewalker and play the ROM to avoid all the bullshit.
  • If you guys have any issue with it, I can EV Train any of your Pokemon relatively quickly.
  • You do not need to deal with EVs and IVs if you are not going to be battling in a tournament or online.
  • OMG. I cannot beilieve how amazing this remix is. Thank you to whoever posted this...
  • Do HG and SS have EV training and all that other BS?
    Yes, it's still the same basic pokemon game as it has been the last 16 instalments, just with minor improvements here and there like toggle for running shoes. Why do you care Scott? Are you not playing for fun? Do you not like having the option of training your pokemon to be specialized in something? Do you not think it's awesome when your trained pokemon makes mulch out of another's that is 5 to 10 levels higher? Not like any of that really matters in single player.

There are some AR codes out there that can show IVs and EVs in-game, or so I've been told.
  • Yes, it's still the same basic pokemon game as it has been the last 16 instalments, just with minor improvements here and there like toggle for running shoes. Why do you care Scott? Are you not playing for fun? Do you not like having the option of training your pokemon to be specialized in something? Do you not think it's awesome when your trained pokemon makes mulch out of another's that is 5 to 10 levels higher? Not like any of that really matters in single player.
    Since I played Silver back in the day on GameBoy Color, I have no reason to play it again. If they had removed EV/IV bullshit, then it would be worth getting for multiplayer that was no longer stupid.
  • If they had removed EV/IV bullshit, then it would be worth getting for multiplayer that was no longer stupid.
    Pokemon will never have non-stupid multiplayer. As much as we otherwise like it, it's not for us.
  • If they had removed EV/IV bullshit, then it would be worth getting for multiplayer that was no longer stupid.
    Pokemon will never have non-stupid multiplayer. As much as we otherwise like it, it's notforus.
    If it did Japan would have a new "lost generation" as millions of school kids would spend all of their time living in the Pokemon MMO.
    Pokemon will never have non-stupid multiplayer. As much as we otherwise like it, it's not for us.
    I have never understood why the hidden stats are in the game. Kids, who are the target audience, have no idea they even exist unless they go on the internets to a website that data mined the game to find them.
  • I have never understood why the hidden stats are in the game. Kids, who are the target audience, have no idea they even exist unless they go on the internets to a website that data mined the game to find them.
    They're there to create mystique. Kid wants to make his pokemon fast? He takes it out fighting fast pokemon in the wild. You get a sort of perception that it's not just the levels, but who you're fighting, what you're doing. It's the sort of thing that causes kids to come up with their own rituals (always hitting A just after an attack, only leveling up in one particular swamp, etc...) as their neolithic brains attempt to correlate the differences between their pokemon and their patterns of play.
  • They're there to create mystique. Kid wants to make his pokemon fast? He takes it out fighting fast pokemon in the wild. You get a sort of perception that it's not just the levels, but who you're fighting, what you're doing. It's the sort of thing that causes kids to come up with their own rituals (always hitting A just after an attack, only leveling up in one particular swamp, etc...) as their neolithic brains attempt to correlate the differences between their pokemon and their patterns of play.
    The thing is, it would probably be more beneficial to the kids to display and explain all those numbers. They would get really fucking good at math.
    I agree with the IV bollocks since those are entirely random. The EVs allow for differentiating between pokemon of the same species. HMs are more stupid than EVs, the latter just needs to be pulled to the front. The pokedex can already magically make all sorts of data appear upon catching, so effort values shouldn't be a problem.
  • always hitting A just after an attack
    Everyone in 3rd grade knew it increased your chance to hit or catch.
    Everyone in 3rd grade knew it increased your chance to hit or catch.
    A+B+Down = double success rate for catching pogeymanz. None of this mediocre, single 'A' button stuff.
    Everyone in 3rd gradeknewit increased your chance to hit or catch.
    A+B+Down = double success rate for catching pogeymanz. None of this mediocre, single 'A' button stuff.
    This, but it must be timed at exactly the point when the ball hits the pogeymon, otherwise it won't work.
  • [Haters gonna hate]
    This is amazing.

I ran into two other people with Pokewalkers at school today.
  • I tend to hit A while hitting in most RPGs unconsciously, all thanks to Mario RPG.
  • I tend to hit A while hitting in most RPGs unconsciously, all thanks to Mario RPG.
    A series of RPGs that is still somewhat playable because of this aspect.
  • I got Jeremy into Pokemon. He always swore he would never play, but he picked up Heart Gold when he got God of War 3. His Cyndaquil already evolved before my Totodile! He named his Cyndaquil Zuko.
  • His Cyndaquil already evolved before my Totodile! He named his Cyndaquil Zuko.
    I approve of this so very much.

Also, I really like the Bike theme! It's a lot more upbeat nowadays!
  • So where is everyone? I already have 8 badges and 4 out of my 6 Pokemon are fully evolved (the only ones that aren't are stone evolutions).
  • I'm in Azaela Town now after recently beating the Violet Gym Leader. I am taking my time. My Totodile finally evolved. He's level 19, I think. I'm trying to level my other group members so I can have a well rounded team and not try to depend solely on my main.
  • I have 4 badges, and going for my 5th. Strangely enough, I think Ro is beating me in levels. My pokemon barely hit level 20!
  • I think Ro is beating me in levels. My pokemon barely hit level 20!
    I have the habit of grinding to make sure I don't have too many problems with battles.
  • So where is everyone? I already have 8 badges and 4 out of my 6 Pokemon are fully evolved (the only ones that aren't are stone evolutions).
    Dude, you are young. Let us oldsters catch up.
  • Dude, you are young. Let us oldsters catch up.
    He's a college kid with time on his hands. We're old fogeys with jobs and responsibilities. ^_~
  • He's a college kid with time on his hands. We're old fogeys with jobs and responsibilities. ^_~
    Yeah, my life is basically 1/3 class, 1/3 art work, 1/3 Pokemon.