This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

Apparently FiOS is worse than Comcast Cable in Utah.

Across the US.
  • edited July 2011

Only 82 megs. Must be a slow day. :D

At home my 7 meg dsl reports at 5, but it's better than the 10 meg cable that was giving us 1.2. :(
    Post edited by Dave on
  • Pretty average, and they throttle BT like crazy between 4pm and midnight, but I'm not that bothered.
    Dammit, why can't I play games at work?
  • edited July 2011
    *cough cough*

There's a reason I do FNPL from my school.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited July 2011
    ...My internet is supposed to be at 54 MBps. This is stupid.
    Post edited by Axel on
    I'm excited for college next year :D
  • Sit dog!
    Terrible. Just terrible.
  • 54 MBps
    54 MEGABYTES PER SECOND?! God damn, you're getting shafted if you're only getting 1.88/464 of what you pay for.
  • Just found out I do NOT enjoy creme soda.
    Your loss.
    Your loss.
    My blessing.
  • 54 MBps
    54 MEGABYTES PER SECOND?! God damn, you're getting shafted if you're only getting 1.88/464 of what you pay for.
    Sorry, Mbps.
  • I have a penis.
  • That comment was unnecessary, because I could've inferred as much.
  • edited July 2011
    It was a random comment. What are you on about? Can't a good man make a random comment in the Random Comments thread anymore? Seriously you people. Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with you people.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I have a penis.
    Go on...
  • I have a penis.
    I don't believe it until I see peer reviewed scientific paper about the subject.
  • It was a random comment. What are you on about? Can't a good man make a random comment in the Random Comments thread anymore? Seriously you people. Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with you people.
    But the quoted comment isn't random at all!
  • I have been listening to podcasts for a little over three years now, and I can't imagine not having them. I love the portability and the ability to multitask that television just can't offer (homework+podcasts, bus ride+podcasts, sleep+podcasts, etc.). The available content is superior to anything available on the radio, and the on-demand/time-shifted nature of podcasts is wonderful.

I have recommended several shows (Dave&Joel and GeekNights in particular) to my friends, but none of them seem remotely interested. I do not think that the content of the shows is the issue, they just seem to not like the idea of listening to podcasts (one said that he'd rather just listen to music). Oh well. I guess I just find it hard to believe that someone might not like what I like.
  • I just noticed that Progress Quest is available in the chrome web store.
  • Whenever I click on a link to a specific post on twitter, it never loads. Ever. Not once has a twitter post ever loaded for me. The top bar loads up, and then the rest of the page is just white.
  • they just seem to not like the idea of listening to podcasts
    I have to find time to do this. For example, while I was working, there was no way in hell I could listen to a podcast and maintain concentration on my work. Music (any music) was fine; it distracted the ADD part of my brain while the rest of my brain focused on working.

Even now, I have a hard time doing anything else while listening to a podcast, because I miss what is being said, and at least Scrym do not repeat Scrymselves; I cannot speak about the other podcastafarians. I pretty much lay on a couch and hit play.

I suppose it'd be fine for a commute or something, but I don't do that anymore.
  • edited July 2011
    Fahrenheit vs Celsius by Feel.

Note I don't translate these mathematically. Sometimes the numbers just round better as they are.

Fucking Cold: less than 20 Fahrenheit, less than 0 Celcius
    Cold: 20-65 F, 0-20 C
    Barely pleasant: 65-70 F, 20 C
    Nice: 70-80 F, 25 C
    Warm: 80-90 F, 25-30 C
    Hot: 90-100 F, 30-35 C
    Fucking Hot: 100+ F, 35+ C

Note on temperature labels: I find "room temperature" of 65 F / 20 C to give me goosebumps if I'm in a t-shirt and long pants, and I stay in the room long enough.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • they just seem to not like the idea of listening to podcasts
    I have to find time to do this. For example, while I was working, there was no way in hell I could listen to a podcast and maintain concentration on my work. Music (any music) was fine; it distracted the ADD part of my brain while the rest of my brain focused on working.

Even now, I have a hard time doing anything else while listening to a podcast, because I miss what is being said, and at least Scrym do not repeat Scrymselves; I cannot speak about the other podcastafarians. I pretty much lay on a couch and hit play.

I suppose it'd be fine for a commute or something, but I don't do that anymore.
    I do music for anytime I'm doing something with words, like reading or writing. I do words (podcasts and audiobooks) when I do physical stuff, like walking or eating or juggling. I do silence when I'm doing anything with noise, like talking, singing, writing music, podcasting, etc.
  • This is why I don't bother trying to play TF2 on the ship's satellite internet connection. Or why I bother trying to download podcasts.

And this is a FAST connection compared to some ships I work on!