This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Fucking Cold: less than 20 Fahrenheit, less than 0 Celcius
    Cold: 20-65 F, 0-20 C
    Barely pleasant: 65-70 F, 20 C
    Nice: 70-80 F, 25 C
    Warm: 80-90 F, 25-30 C
    Hot: 90-100 F, 30-35 C
    Fucking Hot: 100+ F, 35+ C
    I laugh at your Fucking Cold is everything under 0C. If -1C is Fucking Cold then what is -20C? On the other hand I could also laugh at your 35C is the limit to Fucking Hot.
  • Norway is fucking cold most of the time then.
  • I've been really enjoying peaches lately. I've been eating like 2-3 a day for the past week.
  • edited July 2011
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    I'm thinking no EVE this weekend.
  • Black Metal-ers doing normal shit.
    My old housemate before I left england was in a melodic metal band, and a death metal/screamo band that was getting pretty popular, even popular enough to front for municipal waste. 3 inches of blood are fans of them.

And by day? He's a somewhat meek, chilled out, laid back dentist, with two cats, who lives in an English country village.
  • In the middle of the night, I woke up thinking about the kessel run comment of doing something in "only X parsecs," and how that might make sense in the right context.

I don't even like Star Wars.

Anyway, once the limit of conventional travel is met based on relativity, it's probable that all engines would be capable of that speed. Folding space would be the only way to to move across large distances any faster. There is the potential for faster than the speed of light travel as observed by people outside the folded space. So then the technology would be about creating space folds that connect some fixed distance (say the distance of the Kessel Run) to a shorter traveled distance through the wormhole. The shorter the traveled distance through the wormhole (which is still limited by conventional travel through its distance), the better. Thus boasting of a distance, especially in the context of another known distance, would be boasting about the wormhole efficiency.

Sort of a boring race to watch when all the ships are phasing out of normal space into their own wormholes though.

Also, as I read on wookieepedia, this is not at all how the writers chose to explain this statement.
  • Also, as I read on wookieepedia, this is not at all how the writers chose to explain this statement.
    Still, not the worst explanation I've ever read. It's better than sparkly golems made of impervious, mobile stone who run on explosive oil strained from human blood with chagrin.
  • Foldspace is far less convenient than the Alcubierre Drive, in which a localized field of spacetime is warped around a ship, creating a large positive "hill" of space behind and around the ship, and a "ditch" in the intended direction of travel. Tidal forces move the space around the ship, and the ship technically doesn't move, so there are no relativistic travel difficulties. You'd save far more energy with such a drive than you would trying to fold space or construct a wormhole.
  • Foldspace is far less convenient than the Alcubierre Drive, in which a localized field of spacetime is warped around a ship, creating a large positive "hill" of space behind and around the ship, and a "ditch" in the intended direction of travel. Tidal forces move the space around the ship, and the ship technically doesn't move, so there are no relativistic travel difficulties. You'd save far more energy with such a drive than you would trying to fold space or construct a wormhole.
    This is probably the best lay explanation I've ever heard of for this "move space around you" concept. I still don't think I understand what physics it is making use of (special relativity? some postulate based on one of the currently accepted topologies underlying string theory? some other theory?). Often times gravity is described as warping space. The lay description you gave here thus makes me think more of how gravity works, which I believe is still limited by special relativity.
  • This is why the normies hate us.
    If I recall correctly, this is the premise behind warp drive.
  • edited July 2011
    Foldspace is far less convenient than the Alcubierre Drive, in which a localized field of spacetime is warped around a ship, creating a large positive "hill" of space behind and around the ship, and a "ditch" in the intended direction of travel. Tidal forces move the space around the ship, and the ship technically doesn't move, so there are no relativistic travel difficulties. You'd save far more energy with such a drive than you would trying to fold space or construct a wormhole.
    This is probably the best lay explanation I've ever heard of for this "move space around you" concept. I still don't think I understand what physics it is making use of (special relativity? some postulate based on one of the currently accepted topologies underlying string theory? some other theory?). Often times gravity is described as warping space. The lay description you gave here thus makes me think more of how gravity works, which I believe is still limited by special relativity.
    It's based on spacetime topology. Spacetime wants to be flat, but by manipulating it into a warp bubble, it's constantly moving beneath the craft. This changes the craft's relative location in space. That's my understanding, anyway. Timo would probably explain it a lot better.
    If I recall correctly, this is the premise behind warp drive.
    Yep, the Enterprise's nacelles are Alcubierre Drives.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • My brain is melting.
  • Vestibular* results came out, I passed. I'm going to school again to study Physics at night.
    Vestibular*: Like an SAT, but they don't take into account your grades, it's the sole thing taken into consideration to see if you can go to free Federal University. They have them for payed schools too, but they are much easier, in my case, Federal.
  • With Japan's love of Junior Idols (Something I'm not so comfortable with.), I want to see what Junior Andrew W.K. would look like.
  • I feel like some sort of hypocrite: I can't stand Dubstep, but I love Breakbeat.
  • I feel like some sort of hypocrite: I can't stand Dubstep, but I love Breakbeat.
    Do not feel that way, you are not alone in that.
    Breakbeat and Jungle give me headaches. White Jungle was my most hated level in Sonic Adventure 2.
  • edited July 2011
    I feel like some sort of hypocrite: I can't stand Dubstep, but I love Breakbeat.
    That is not hypocritical at all. It's akin to saying you don't like classic rock, but you love punk. Totally different beasts.

Sonic, have you heard any Aphex Twin? Breakbeat can be chill and beautiful.

Post edited by Sail on
  • Breakbeat and Jungle give me headaches. White Jungle was my most hated level in Sonic Adventure 2.
    That isn't EVEN Breakbeat.

...I almost typoed that as "Breakbear". Breakbear. Breakbear.
  • ...I almost typoed that as "Breakbear". Breakbear. Breakbear.
    I pity the fool who doesn't watch Hajime no Ippo.
  • and how that might make sense in the right context.
    Does that context involve George Lucas being a mouth-breathing simpleton? Because that's really how it makes the most sense.
  • edited July 2011
    I was just informed via the wonders of Wikipedia that Herman Edwards, who said those famous words "You play to win the game!" is the guy who recovered The Fumble and subsequently scored the game winning TD in The Miracle at the Meadowlands. Now, how does Scott feel about that?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I was just informed via the wonders of Wikipedia that Herman Edwards, who said those famous words "You play to win the game!" is the guy who recovered The Fumble and subsequently scored the game winning TD in The Miracle at the Meadowlands. Now, how does Scott feel about that?
    I am well aware. He was also coach of the piece of shit Jets at the time he famously said he plays to win the game. Even so, as far as Super Bowls go, the Giants have 3, Eagles got 0, Jets got 1. I can sleep pretty easily.
  • ...I almost typoed that as "Breakbear". Breakbear. Breakbear.
    I pity the fool who doesn't watch Hajime no Ippo.

I should really continue watching Hajime no Ippo.

Now, in completely unrelated news. I might have a glasses fetish :S