This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• I would quit any job, no matter how awesome, if I won the lottery.
    Which makes me wonder why people who earn mega money continue to work after they make millions. After winning millions I wouldn't buy more lotto tickets.

I think this has been explored before, on this forum. In my mind, it's because to them the money isn't the goal it's more about the pursuit of money and the concept of "making more money".

Of course, some people just have super expensive lifetime goals and therefore the threshold of "fuck you money" is far higher than mine, Scott's or Rym's. Some people want to play with billion dollar properties, as opposed to buying a massive TV or playing all the video games.

Pretty much. Why spend time working when I could go around learning about anything I wanted to know about. I'd learn a language and see Europe or something.
    What if you job was paying you to do something that you would do even if you didn't have to work?
    The things I would do even if I didn't have to work are not things that anyone would pay for, so they cannot be a job. Some of them might get some pay, but none of them would get enough pay in 40 hours a week to make even minimum wage.

Nobody is going to pay me (enough) to:

1) bike around
    2) lay on the beach reading books/comics
    3) play games non-professionally
    4) build gundam models very poorly
    5) make podcasts and youtube videos
    6) cook and bake not so well
    7) travel the world looking at cool stuff
    8) read too much Internets
    9) write software nobody needs

Now you might say that some of these could pay enough. If I baked all day I could be a baker. That is true, and I do like baking. I just have no interest in baking so much. I only want to bake like, a batch of cookies every week or two.

I really have no interest in doing any single thing for that amount of time. I want to do lots and lots of different things. Even if any one of those things could be economically viable if I dedicated myself to it full-time, I would not want to do that. Sometimes I get in a coding mood. Then I get in an anime mood. Then I get in a biking mood. In order to make a living I have to pick one and stick with it for most of the time. A lottery winning would free me to just always do whatever I'm in the mood for without having to spend the majority of my time on one thing.
  • edited November 2012
    ^What Scott said...

I'd probably ride Amtrak a bunch more :P
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I think this has been explored before, on this forum. In my mind, it's because to them the money isn't the goal it's more about the pursuit of money and the concept of "making more money".

Of course, some people just have super expensive lifetime goals and therefore the threshold of "fuck you money" is far higher than mine, Scott's or Rym's. Some people want to play with billion dollar properties, as opposed to buying a massive TV or playing all the video games.
    Also, if your goals are philanthropic ones, the threshold of "fuck you money" is effectively infinite (as long as you're not doing more harm in making the money than you could do good with it, of course).
  • ^What Scott said...

I'd probably ride Amtrak a bunch more :P
    s/Amtrak/Jet Blue and Emirates/g
  • edited November 2012
    Though if I didn't have a job I could drive in and out of the cities when the traffic isn't bad.

EDIT: Oh I'd so learn to fly.
    Post edited by George Patches on

• Nobody is going to pay me (enough) to:

1) bike around
    2) lay on the beach reading books/comics
    3) play games non-professionally
    4) build gundam models very poorly
    5) make podcasts and youtube videos
    6) cook and bake not so well
    7) travel the world looking at cool stuff
    8) read too much Internets
    9) write software nobody needs
    Oh man, apart from building gundam models, that's almost my life.

If I won or somehow acquired loads of money, enough not to work, I'd probably get another apartment in the same building I live in now (so I have a work and living space, rather than a work/live space) and just carry on as I am now. I'd still juggle and travel, but I'd disconnect them, so I could decide where I went to juggle rather than it being my job.

• I'd buy a condo/apartment with larger floor space than my current house (fuck yard work) and would still work for a living because otherwise I would get so bored and have so little meaningful interaction with people that I would go insane. I would also fund people's aspirations of starting businesses I want to see exist but have no desire to build myself.

Like I would fund someone building and running a barcade.
  • I'd buy a condo/apartment with larger floor space than my current house (fuck yard work) and would still work for a living because otherwise I would get so bored and have so little meaningful interaction with people that I would go insane. I would also fund people's aspirations of starting businesses I want to see exist but have no desire to build myself.

So the venture capitalist route, albeit with a very limited set of businesses you'd be willing to provide venture capital for.

So the venture capitalist route, albeit with a very limited set of businesses you'd be willing to provide venture capital for.
    Yep. Pretty much. Philanthropy, a modest dwelling increase and toy budget, and venture capital.
  • Side note: When people say "venture capitalist" they often actually mean "angel investor." An angel investor is one guy who has a lot of money and invests his own money in startups. A venture capitalist invests money from a venture fund (i.e., not his own money) in startups. If you won the lottery, you'd probably become an angel investor, not a venture capitalist.
  • edited November 2012
    If I won the lottery, I'd have to wonder why I bought a lottery ticket (though not really, because presumably I'd know why I did it, even though the reasons would almost certainly have been poor ones).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If I won the lottery, I'd have to wonder why I bought a lottery ticket (though not really, because presumably I'd know why I did it, even though the reasons would almost certainly have been poor ones).
    Time traveling future you needed to travel back in time to get rich to afford to invent time travel.
  • I think the Republicans should shut up and go with Obama's plan. The American people clearly think his plan is the right course of action.
  • I think the Republicans should shut up and go with Obama's plan. The American people clearly think his plan is the right course of action.
    If that were true House should have gone Democrat.

If that were true House should have gone Democrat.

Not necessarily, while gerrymandering is a thing.
  • See? America wants democrats.
  • Because democrats are like santa, giving out handouts so people don't have to work.
  • Because democrats are like santa, giving out handouts so people don't have to work.
    No because they know what the fuck they're talking about.
  • House Democrats essentially won the popular vote over the House Republicans.
    Yeap. The congressional election was determined entirely by gerrymandering.
  • edited November 2012
    What I find comical is where the two partys stand on the filibuster. When Democrats were the minority in the Senate having people do a Mr. Smith was unacceptable and wanting to change Senate rules to bring the real filibuster back was a case of the majority party trampling on the rights of the minority party. Now the arguments are the same with only party labels revered.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • What I find comical is where the two partys stand on the filibuster. When Democrats were the minority in the Senate having people do a Mr. Smith was unacceptable and wanting to change Senate rules to bring the real filibuster back was a case of the majority party trampling on the rights of the minority party. Now the arguments are the same with only party labels revered.
    Actually, I do not recall the Democrats wanting to take things that far, and I do recall the Republicans all but abolishing the filibuster entirely. The current Democratic stance is the middle ground by wanting to bring back the Mr. Smith filibuster.

Also, do keep in mind that the Democrats were much more surgical in their use of the filibuster than the Republicans have been since Obama was elected. The Republicans have basically filibustered every piece of legislation and many of the nominees Obama has proposed.
  • My news sources back then were biased so my recollection is that the filibustering of judges and such was started by Democrats under Bush.
  • Also, it's basically splitting hairs but didn't the Republicans basically get everything they wanted by threatening to filibuster rather than actually filibustering?
  • Odin used a spear, not an axe.
  • Odin used a spear, not an axe.
    My brain just did this:

Odin Spear
    Odin Sphere
    Heron Spear
    Heron Sphere?