This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Going to a Town Hall Meeting that's being held by VA Secretary Shinseki. That's pretty cool.
  • edited August 2013
    Quite a few people pick up a bike thinking to get fit and never use them. Funny fact, the average Halfords bike is only ridden 3 miles. Anyway. Half of the people that use them do not do so on a regular basis, nor do they understand that bikes are not pedestrians. Hence the amusing name of pedestrian cyclists. I am strongly in favour of mandatory cycling tests the same as riding a motorbike the two are just as dangerous.
    I wouldn't say just as dangerous, considering that you're not going to be pedaling down the M1 at a hundred miles an hour, nor come around a corner, lose the tail on a patch of ice, let off the throttle and high-side yourself into a pub's front garden. However, I would say that it's equally dangerous to ride them in traffic.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2013
    >I wouldn't say just as dangerous, considering that you're not going to be pedaling down the M1 at a hundred miles an hour, nor come around a corner, lose the tail on a patch of ice, let off the throttle and high-side yourself into a pub's front garden.
    You've never seen me ride. I kick the tail out on my bike at all possible points. And, now that I've got a hard-tail bike, it'll be even easier. I'll be all

Edit:Huh. Youtube embed isn't working.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2013
    I feel like there is this perpetuating ignorance where people see others that seem like they know what they're doing and adopt that as road law. Although I mostly believe people don't actually think that they have to follow road rules when they're riding ON THE ROAD.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited August 2013
    You've never seen me ride. I kick the tail out on my bike at all possible points. And, now that I've got a hard-tail bike, it'll be even easier.
    It's nothing like that, dude. A high-side isn't a matter of "I'll just drift it out" or just losing traction, it's a matter of your rear wheel losing traction then regaining it suddenly, which results in 300 kilograms of motorbike flicking the rider off like a small insect. Riders ten times better than either of us will ever be get flicked off high-siding their bikes. It's three times your weight rotating fast around it's axis, with you sat on top, what else is gonna happen?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Sounds like someone did not unsub from all the default subreddits.
    It isn't just those that are bad. I can't go into subreddits that don't have a "get your shitty memes out of here" rule anymore.
  • Sounds like someone did not unsub from all the default subreddits.
    It isn't just those that are bad. I can't go into subreddits that don't have a "get your shitty memes out of here" rule anymore.
    WTF subreddits are you in?
  • Why do so many people not understand the difference between a yield sign and a merge sign?
  • AmpAmp
    edited August 2013
    Quite a few people pick up a bike thinking to get fit and never use them. Funny fact, the average Halfords bike is only ridden 3 miles. Anyway. Half of the people that use them do not do so on a regular basis, nor do they understand that bikes are not pedestrians. Hence the amusing name of pedestrian cyclists. I am strongly in favour of mandatory cycling tests the same as riding a motorbike the two are just as dangerous.
    I wouldn't say just as dangerous, considering that you're not going to be pedaling down the M1 at a hundred miles an hour, nor come around a corner, lose the tail on a patch of ice, let off the throttle and high-side yourself into a pub's front garden. However, I would say that it's equally dangerous to ride them in traffic.

I was thinking more for in cities and in the country side. Especially those that try to do some mountain biking.

Edit; That is to say it traffic there should be some sort of qualification. There needs to be something to get people to realise that they are not immune to danger as they are cycling. I drew the comparison to motor bikes as there can be a risk from cars and lorries. I blows my mind that people run red lights and don't get why people shout at them. Things like hand signals, how to cycle as a group, how to read the work, simple things like that. Hell the amount of people that try to get round me when driving a tractor and don't seem to think.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Pizza and Jimmy Buffet seem to be my comfort food.
  • Goldfish snacks are my comfort food. And Pringles.
  • Yahzoo and Ginsters slices if its work stress. Yaki Niku for anything else. Always accompanied by meed. Meed makes everything better.
  • Mac and cheese (or "Kraft Dinner" to those outside the US, at least in Canada, anyway) is my comfort food. But then again, cheese in general is my crack.
  • Yeah... I love cheese. This whole "delicious things taste good and I want to eat more of them" thing is bullshit.
  • But then again, cheese in general is my crack.
    Now I could have went with this:

Instead I will choose this:

• You've never seen me ride. I kick the tail out on my bike at all possible points. And, now that I've got a hard-tail bike, it'll be even easier.
    It's nothing like that, dude. A high-side isn't a matter of "I'll just drift it out" or just losing traction, it's a matter of your rear wheel losing traction then regaining it suddenly, which results in 300 kilograms of motorbike flicking the rider off like a small insect. Riders ten times better than either of us will ever be get flicked off high-siding their bikes. It's three times your weight rotating fast around it's axis, with you sat on top, what else is gonna happen?
    Oof, shit. Yeah. No way, man.

• I am now temporarily the owner of twelve blue head-bands.
  • I am now temporarily the owner of twelve blue head-bands.
    Why?
  • Also 33 years old today: Macaulay Culkin. Yup, I'm exactly the same age as Kevin from Home Alone.
  • edited August 2013
    Tactical priest always aims for center mass.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Descartes is an idiot with a good point. No we can't ever empirically know with absolute certainty anything, but science doesn't try to know with absolute certainty, just know best at the time.
  • If Martin Luther King Jr. was doing his civil rights activism today, he'd be labeled as a terrorist and locked away, possibly tortured, in Gitmo or an equivalent prison.
  • If Martin Luther King Jr. was doing his civil rights activism today, he'd be labeled as a terrorist and locked away, possibly tortured, in Gitmo or an equivalent prison.
    You could have the same done to you for posting that, and me too just for knowing you.
  • Descartes is an idiot with a good point. No we can't ever empirically know with absolute certainty anything, but science doesn't try to know with absolute certainty, just know best at the time.
    So... how does that whole physical connection between the soul and the body (which he tried to prove and find) fit into this? Or fucking imaginary numbers?
  • Yeah, the guy who invented Cartesian geometry was pretty stupid and didn't know shit about science.
  • edited August 2013
    Cartesian dualism is, if I may put it bluntly, hella dumb.

Also the way to deal with your basic level of solipsistic teleological uncertainty is to say "well, if nothing I perceive is real, nothing I do matters anyways, so I should act as if my perceptions are accurate anyways."
    So... how does that whole physical connection between the soul and the body (which he tried to prove and find) fit into this? Or fucking imaginary numbers?
    Descartes did the opposite of that: he was positing that the mind and the body are totally separate, and the ability to reason was inherent in the soul and separate from the body.

He had to do this because he was a mechanist (although I'm sort of misordering cause-and-effect here): he asserted that the material universe was deterministic, and the only way for free will to coexist with that was to root free will in a non-material soul.

Edit note: For most of the middle ages, natural philosophy held that consciousness and the soul was more or less an imperceptible fluid that circulated through the body (generally of the fire element), and you'd die because you lost too much of it.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited August 2013
    One could argue that the mind is a largely conceptual object, which makes it a non-physical entity separate from the physical brain.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Except the mind is just an abstraction for the very physical processes of the brain, meaning a mind is ultimately materially based. Descartes argued that the mind was an agent of free will that made decisions independent of the physical world.
  • edited August 2013
    Holy fuck, thread 3 of Cherno's Quest is starting up. Didn't go as fast as the first one, obviously, but I was also coordinating the two spin-offs.

They are just about to go punch a Kaiju wearing armour made out of T-34s. And it's now got spiked taser-fists and INCINERATOR TURBOJETS.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on