This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• I came up with a tie in product so unusual and genius at the same time. A stern pinball machine with MLP friendship is magic license. Think about it, Pinky Pie Party board, Diamond Dog drop targets, Sonic Rainboom jackpot, it has the potential to do a lot of unique things. However knowing Stern it would be limited edition and cost $8000, but hey can a guy get inspired every now and again.
    There are programs that let you create your own digital pinball machine. Go for it.

You are assuming that Digital pinball machines are actually good. (end pinball snobbery)
    They are not a substitute for real pinball, but they can be fun in their own right. You know this shit is fun.
  • It can be fun the main issue is with the flow of the game itself, you need to have that physical experience to not only aim your shot but to flow from one target to another, the computer controls the flippers in only one manner when in real life there are sweet spots where you can do a lighter flip for skill targets.

TLDR Video Pinball does not have the finesse as real pinball.

• TLDR Video Pinball does not have the finesse as real pinball.
    In average implementations. There is no reason why digital pinball couldn't be effectively identical: the physics are fairly simple to simulate all things considered.

• It can be fun the main issue is with the flow of the game itself, you need to have that physical experience to not only aim your shot but to flow from one target to another, the computer controls the flippers in only one manner when in real life there are sweet spots where you can do a lighter flip for skill targets.

TLDR Video Pinball does not have the finesse as real pinball.
    Like I said, it's a different game. Of course if you compare it to real pinball, it is very different. That doesn't mean it isn't still fun in its own right. It's just that since it is attempting to mimic the real pinball, it will inevitably be compared to it.

I think a major flaw of video pinball games is that they have the ability to do things that can not be done in real pinball, but most just try to simulate physical pinball instead. 3D Ultra Pinball was exceptional at doing this, and the series is still great to play today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Ultra_Pinball
  • They are both fun, but I like the aesthetics of real pinball. In other words, the feel and look of the old fashioned pinball machine.
  • It's like this.

Does Mike Tyson's Punch Out! suck because it isn't real boxing? Does Bases Loaded suck because it isn't real Baseball? Does Ice Hockey (NES) suck because it isn't real Ice Hockey? Does Mario Tennis suck because it isn't real Tennis? Does Counter-Strike suck because you aren't actually a real terrorist?

Video game pinball is just fine. It's just not pinball, even though it looks like it.
  • Maybe real wasn't the best choice of word. Maybe, analog pinball or traditional pinball.

]Digital doesn't suck and neither does traditional. I just love the look and feel of traditional pinball.
  • Does Forza Motorsport 4 suck because it's not real racing?

Actually yes, real racing is at least 2 orders of magnitude more fun. Forza is an OK substitute, but autocrossing a regular hatchback is way more fun than driving a digital Ferrari around Imula.

Actually yes, real racing is at least 2 orders of magnitude more fun. Forza is an OK substitute, but autocrossing a regular hatchback is way more fun than driving a digital Ferrari around Imula.
    True, but it comes with the unique enjoyment of being able to pinball a car around a track without having to pay for the bodywork.

It's not supposed to be a substitute. It is a completely different thing that is base on the same idea, but not even the creators ever intend for it to be a replacement for the real deal. To judge it based on its merits as a replacement is holding it to an unfair standard.

Take for instance the ASCII art version of Star Wars. You wouldn't say that it sucks because it's not as good as the original. Of course it's not as good as the original. That's not its purpose.
  • This thread is now about pinball.

What about MLP themed bookmarks?
  • This thread is now about pinball.

What about MLP themed bookmarks?
    I already have such a bookmark.

• I would like a mug. With a unicorn horn sticking out from the front so i may jab any who question my watching of pony as i sip tea.
  • But you'd spill your tea.
  • On them!
  • I'm sorry, did someone say ponies?
  • WHOA! Awesome!
  • Oh Man! I want one!
  • I think the book only makes the rainbow. The Dash looks added.
  • yeah , my Pony DVD came in from Amazon today. Now I can clear my room on my DVR.
  • Why didn't anyone tell me that there were new Friendship is Witchcraft, with a new song.
  • Good episode, but also a cop-out. They could have taught us all about Dragon lore and society, but didn't even teach us a damn thing other than the fact that Dragons migrate and are dicks.
  • Good episode, but also a cop-out. They could have taught us all about Dragon lore and society, but didn't even teach us a damn thing other than the fact that Dragons migrate and are dicks.
    Yeah, they only showed "teen" dragons as just, stereotypical fratty bullies. Completely pointless, considering the other dragons we've seen so far who are sleek, cool, and actual monsters and compared to these obnoxious delinquents. And nothing really happened or was accomplished in the end. And I'd really like to know why Spike doesn't have any wings.

Oddly enough, that last minute was pretty cool and the moral was good. But this is probably the worst episode this season.
  • Holy shit Fluttershy!
  • Maybe Spike is not a dragon, and is a serpent like Steven Magnet?
  • edited March 2012
    Good episode, but also a cop-out. They could have taught us all about Dragon lore and society, but didn't even teach us a damn thing other than the fact that Dragons migrate and are dicks.
    This would better as a 2parter even, there was just quite a bit that could be shown and explored. The stereotype delinquent characterization, while effective for the message, was not original. Although is is shown that the dragons in general know of the Princesses as well as Ponyville, and if the actions of the delinquents were of any measure, have no respect for either

That said, i had been wondering if Spike himself was ever getting a pet, and they gave him a phoenix, didnt expect that.

Also, twilights teleportation spell can certainly cross vast distances...and while it shows that she was winded from the effort, thats still mighty impressive. WHo needs trains to Canterlot when you have teleportation..
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • I do love the new of the name of the new baby Phoenix.
  • My favorite thing about this past episode is Krackle the Dragon.
  • I do love the new of the name of the new baby Phoenix.
    If you attempt to murder a family's child, and end up scaring the parents away in the process before having a change of heart, keeping the kid is totally OK!
  • I think twilight totally could have handled those dragons.

Also Spike's age/physiology is itself bizarre. I think he's not a dragon, or at least not an ordinary dragon.