This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mobile Board Games [iOS & Android]

Comments

• Nice. It's the same for both iPad and iPhone. The buying.
  • edited February 2012
    I wonder how much iOS Eclipse is gonna cost. Most games up there are like ~$30 for the physical version and ~$5-10 for the ios one. No way they'll get downloads if it's like 20 bucks.
    Is there anything signifying they are considering such a pricing for Eclipse iOS?

Re: the Codito sale. Buy buy buy!
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Oh I'm just saying cause it seems like ios prices are related to physical copy prices; there's like no specifics about the development at all yet unfortunately. But the $5 to $10 for a board game in the app store is a good amount more than the average non boardgame price (even scrabble is $10 for some ridiculous reason), and Eclipse is the most expensive physical boardgame that's been ported as far as I know.
  • Major "first world problems" complaint about the iOS app store: you can't buy something over 20MB on 3G. Of course, they won't let you download it, I understand that. But there is no option to just let the purchase go through, and queue up the download for later. I swear I miss out on half of the sales and free game deals b/c once I get home, I don't remember to go app shopping.
  • Yeah, I hate that too. I have to remind myself to purchase them as soon as I get home or near a wireless hot spot.

Set a calendar reminder for tonight. I do that from time to time.
  • Yeah, I hate that too. I have to remind myself to purchase them as soon as I get home or near a wireless hot spot.

Set a calendar reminder for tonight. I do that from time to time.
    Appshopper.

Its a whishlist with a realtime connection to app store. Notifies you of price drops as well. Shows you whats popular. Whats new. Give it a spin, I initially thought it woudl be pointless, but it's saved me a few $$ when a sale comes up for a game that I didnt need to buy RIGHT THEN.

• Sweet. I should have known an app for these sorts of thing already exists. I'll have to get it later on today. Thanks.

I still wish they gave you trial versions of apps before you choose to purchase it. I would have saved some money on certain Japanese learning apps that I regret purchasing.
  • The amount of time it's been since I last played Carcassonne is really showing in the few games I've played on iOS. I suuuuuuuuck.
    Nah, your all good. Just stop teaming up with the person in the lead :P

Ill start a new game soon, these 3 ways have a fun dynamic to them.

Both games were really awesome, but I know the exact move that cost me the win in that second one.
    The 9 length road that you didn't cap?

God, my life for just 1 meeple during that end game, i really screwed up my farmers. :/

• I got an invite to a game and dumb-thumbed the refuse button. Sorry about that.
  • edited February 2012
    The amount of time it's been since I last played Carcassonne is really showing in the few games I've played on iOS. I suuuuuuuuck.
    Nah, your all good. Just stop teaming up with the person in the lead :P

Ill start a new game soon, these 3 ways have a fun dynamic to them.

Both games were really awesome, but I know the exact move that cost me the win in that second one.
    The 9 length road that you didn't cap?

God, my life for just 1 meeple during that end game, i really screwed up my farmers. :/

After I played that piece I knew what an idiot I was.

I just got Tigris and Medici, but network failures seem to be preventing me from sending out invites for Tigris
    Post edited by highdefinition on
  • Who won the last Ticket to Ride match? Game crashed on me on the last move and I can't go back and view the results.
  • Who won the last Ticket to Ride match? Game crashed on me on the last move and I can't go back and view the results.
    My game says that we are waiting for VentureJ to make the final move of the game.

• I see. I can't pull anything up from the prior game. :/
  • I see. I can't pull anything up from the prior game. :/
    the whole match for some reason I thought I had 6 tickets...I'm dumb
  • Oh I'm just saying cause it seems like ios prices are related to physical copy prices; there's like no specifics about the development at all yet unfortunately. But the $5 to $10 for a board game in the app store is a good amount more than the average non boardgame price (even scrabble is $10 for some ridiculous reason), and Eclipse is the most expensive physical boardgame that's been ported as far as I know.
    I don't think the two are related. The prices are set relative to their value among other apps. Eclipse is being made by Big Daddy Creations, a company who has shown they understand this by sticking to the $5-ish range, even for $60 physical games like Caylus. They've also shown a history of participating in sales. Don't worry about Eclipse.
  • These people should just use the Steam strategy. When the game comes out, $4. Then after the first week, $5. Then when sales slide off, $1 from then on.
  • Just sent invites to a bunch of you on game center. Hit me up for some Carcassonne and I'll probably grab Ticket to Ride soon considering the positive reaction.
  • I set the T&E AI at the hardest difficulty right from the get go. I lost. The first game I played the final score was 2, 7, 7, 8. I was one of the 7s.

I think the computer cheats. Every time I conflicted they always had 4+ tiles of the necessary color behind the shield. I twice interal conflicted with +4 and lost both. Also, the computer ganged up on me. Probably because I like to start in the middle, but they definitely attacked me externally moreso than they attacked each other.
  • edited March 2012
    I set the T&E AI at the hardest difficulty right from the get go. I lost. The first game I played the final score was 2, 7, 7, 8. I was one of the 7s.

I think the computer cheats. Every time I conflicted they always had 4+ tiles of the necessary color behind the shield. I twice interal conflicted with +4 and lost both. Also, the computer ganged up on me. Probably because I like to start in the middle, but they definitely attacked me externally moreso than they attacked each other.
    How many players were in the game? I haven't felt like the victim of any T&E AI cheating. I had never played before so it took me about 5 games to beat the max-difficulty AI, but now I'd done 5 or 6 rounds of 4-player max-difficulty and have won every time. I don't make any claims to be a master T&E player, I just think you got some real crap luck.

BTW there is a big update coming that fixes a lot of minor gripes with the UI. Also adds in-game chat. Only thing I didn't see in the release notes was them addressing the problem of missing notifications when it is your turn in async, which sucks.

Post edited by Matt on
  • edited March 2012
    I set the T&E AI at the hardest difficulty right from the get go. I lost. The first game I played the final score was 2, 7, 7, 8. I was one of the 7s.

How many players were in the game? I haven't felt like the victim of any T&E AI cheating. I had never played before so it took me about 5 games to beat the max-difficulty AI, but now I'd done 5 or 6 rounds of 4-player max-difficulty and have won every time. I don't make any claims to be a master T&E player, I just think you got some real crap luck.

BTW there is a big update coming that fixes a lot of minor gripes with the UI. Also adds in-game chat. Only thing I didn't see in the release notes was them addressing the problem of missing notifications when it is your turn in async, which sucks.

Obviously it's a four player game if the score is 2, 7, 7, 8. I obviously can't say cheating for certain based on one game. It is, however, vary hard to write a legitimately good AI for T&E. In many many games hard AI basically amounts to cheating because there's just no other way to make the game actually more difficult without real human opponents.
    Post edited by Apreche on

Dam 4th place I thought I had a shot a least 2nd place. :/
  • edited March 2012

Obviously it's a four player game if the score is 2, 7, 7, 8. I obviously can't say cheating for certain based on one game. It is, however, vary hard to write a legitimately good AI for T&E. In many many games hard AI basically amounts to cheating because there's just no other way to make the game actually more difficult without real human opponents.
    Whoops yeah I obviously should have caught that. What I was trying to say is just give the app more than 1 shot. It's not the world's greatest AI. I think after a few plays I've just got a knack for its habits, and am really looking forward to some actual human opponents in this game.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Anybody down for a Ticket to ride match using the mega expansion?
    Always.

Of course.
    Of course.
    I went from not ever spending a dime in the ap store to buying all these crazy expansions.
  • Ticket to Ride is not a universal app? Screw that... *buys both*
  • edited March 2012
    "Draw Something" is pretty damn fun. It's basically Pictionary. the best part is that you can SEE your friend drawing the picture, mistakes and all! SO funny. And then when they use their letter tiles to guess the word you can kind of see the logic they use as you can watch them trying different word combinations as the picture forms. Probably for laughs, the best $1 I ever spent. Hilarious.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • What's your username, Ren?