This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• I kinda think it'll be better. I've always sort of been lukewarm about David Hayter as a voice actor for Snake. He sort of gets the job done sometimes, but personally I just think he sounds really doofy most of the time.
  • edited June 2013
    I just fired up my Wii U. That game pad just dies if you leave it unplugged for a while.

I have been hearing that Lego City Undercover is Lego GTA so.... Probably pick it up.

Damn, that game is 19GB!!!! Looks like the 32GB deluxe version is not as deluxe as thought.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Dynamic ground! Realistic furrows!
  • So, it looks like the upcoming Civ 5 expansion is going to fix the multiplayer so the turn order is fixed, rather than the weird simultaneous version they previously had.

There's also going to be an optional variant where the game plays simultaneously, unless anyone is At War, in which case it switches to the fixed turn order (and presumably switches back if no one is at war any longer).
  • So, it looks like the upcoming Civ 5 expansion is going to fix the multiplayer so the turn order is fixed, rather than the weird simultaneous version they previously had.
    But does it have realistic dynamic furrows?

• Do I have to install Civ V again and pay for a bunch of DLC? FUCK.
    You don't have to do anything, but you're sure as hell going too.
    You don't have to do anything, but you're sure as hell going too.
    Ok, so someone has to set me straight on what to buy. All I have is the base Civ V. Brave New World and Gods and Kings seem to be the big expansions. what about this vikings, babylon, and korea packs? Do I need those to play as those civs? Can I use those civs in multiplayer if the other players don't have them? Do I need to buy any of these map or scenario packs at all?

Also, I'm not buying anything until it is confirmed the multiplayer is fixed.
  • edited June 2013
    Ok, so someone has to set me straight on what to buy. All I have is the base Civ V. Brave New World and Gods and Kings seem to be the big expansions. what about this vikings, babylon, and korea packs? Do I need those to play as those civs? Can I use those civs in multiplayer if the other players don't have them? Do I need to buy any of these map or scenario packs at all?
    Gods&Kings and Brave New World are the big expansions, yes. If you want to play as the Danish, the Babylonians, the Koreans, or the Polynesians, you indeed need to purchase their respective DLCs.

However, you cannot use a DLC Civ in a multiplayer game unless everyone has access to it.

In my experience, extra scenarios and map stuff is mostly pointless. If you like neat little pre-constructed single player scenarios, then cool. But I find them less entertaining than just playing the game.
    Also, I'm not buying anything until it is confirmed the multiplayer is fixed.
    AFAIK, it's information disclosed by the producer of Civ5, Dennis Shirk, on one of the very recent 2k livestreams. If I find a recording of it, I'll post it.
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • Well, even if he confirmed it's happening, I'll wait for it to be release before paying.

Or maybe I should buy now so I can practice and learn... Shit.
  • edited June 2013
    Upgrade your vanilla Civ 5 to Gold Edition on Steam! It's only five bucks for another three hours and you get all the new leader DLC and G&K. You still have to buy Brave New World separately though.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Found this comprehensive list of changes BNW is bringing to the table. Along with all the mechanics from G&K such as religion, Civ V is going to be fantastic after this next release.

Brave New World
  • Is this the equivalent of Civ IV Beyond the sword. MY POOR LIFE and Wife who will be abandoned.
  • Oh fuck.
  • Found this comprehensive list of changes BNW is bringing to the table. Along with all the mechanics from G&K such as religion, Civ V is going to be fantastic after this next release.

Brave New World
    I don't see anything on there about multiplayer.
  • I don't see anything on there about multiplayer.
    I'm asking my sources right now to find where it's confirmed.

Also, for those of you who skipped G&K...
    Gods and Kings
  • The real fix would still be something that allowed simultaneous turns, but was able to detect when any players' actions might be dependent on timing with any other human player. In those cases alone, the turn order would assert.

Still, purely turn-based will be good enough assuming it exists and works.
  • The real fix would still be something that allowed simultaneous turns, but was able to detect when any players' actions might be dependent on timing with any other human player. In those cases alone, the turn order would assert.

Still, purely turn-based will be good enough assuming it exists and works.
    I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure I read an article just today that said they were doing essentially that - you can set for simultaneous turns until you go into combat, at which point it reverts to turn-based.
  • I will see how this shakes down.

If it shakes down properly, it's time to spin up a weekend game.
  • I will see how this shakes down.

Is there any way to play a proper asynchronous game?
  • The way Civ V DLC works with multiplayer is that the player hosting the match chooses which of their DLC's is active for the match. You can join if you have the DLC's that are active. So, you just need to communicate with the host player to ensure everyone's on the same page.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2013
    I will see how this shakes down.

Is there any way to play a proper asynchronous game?
    I wonder if play-by-email or the like works. (I have ignored Civ 5 for a long time).

I would LOVE to have a fairly big async game and play it over some months. But, I have zero tolerance for fiddly crap in making it "just work."

Post edited by Rym on
  • edited June 2013

I would LOVE to have a fairly big async game and play it over some months.
    The video game equivalent of diplomacy, I approve of this and wish to join.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • The problem with really long e-mail/async games is that it's near impossible to get through the early game where there is very little to do other than hit next turn without someone losing interest.
  • The problem with really long e-mail/async games is that it's near impossible to get through the early game where there is very little to do other than hit next turn without someone losing interest.
    The ideal way, from past experience, is to play the first segment live with voice chat. Switch to async once the game grinds down to its steady state.

• They just announced MGS5 for XBoz One. Huge coup for Microsoft taking away a SONY exclusive like that. Seems like it's going to be an open world game. WTF?
  • They just announced MGS5 for XBoz One. Huge coup for Microsoft taking away a SONY exclusive like that. Seems like it's going to be an open world game. WTF?
    Most of the recent MGS's have also been on the XBox. I know at least Snake Eater and Revengeance had 360 ports.
  • Beginning July 1st XBoz Gold gets you two free games per month. Perhaps Fable 3 is the first? Makes it less bullshit.
  • edited June 2013
    Are game makers learning that if you give away an old game in a series away for free people might be more inclined to buy the new one when it comes out? Holy marketing batman!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • World of Tanks on XBoz. F2P if you have Gold. Here come the microtransactions to the console world. I wonder what cut Microsoft gets on each tank you buy.