This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• The problem with really long e-mail/async games is that it's near impossible to get through the early game where there is very little to do other than hit next turn without someone losing interest.
    The ideal way, from past experience, is to play the first segment live with voice chat. Switch to async once the game grinds down to its steady state.

Maybe, but at that point I'd rather just organize semi-regular days to play real time.

• Well...

IDEALLY, I'd do something like this:

1. Schedule a long startup game in real time with voice chat.
    2. Play async after that.
    3. Schedule a bi-weekly hour or so live session.

Best of both worlds. Skip a #3 whenever someone can't make the live game.
  • edited June 2013
    3. Team up and kill the player who can't make a live game :-p

One thing about Civ Multiplayer is it's really hard to get past the Renaissance without most people being eliminated.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • 3. Team up and kill the player who can't make a live game :-p
    Shhh... ;^)

• World of Tanks on XBoz. F2P if you have Gold. Here come the microtransactions to the console world. I wonder what cut Microsoft gets on each tank you buy.
    Oh, you missed the news. World of tanks isn't selling tanks anymore, only cosmetics. No play-affecting items will be sold in the future, and all current play-affecting items will be earned in-game only.

• World of Tanks on XBoz. F2P if you have Gold. Here come the microtransactions to the console world. I wonder what cut Microsoft gets on each tank you buy.
    Oh, you missed the news. World of tanks isn't selling tanks anymore, only cosmetics. No play-affecting items will be sold in the future, and all current play-affecting items will be earned in-game only.

Pretty good! But someone who has been playing longer still has an advantage over a nub because they have "earned" more.
  • About time they started offering free games for Gold subscribers. I wonder if they will follow the Sony plan and the games only work as long as your Gold remains active.
  • Wow, $499 for Xbone. I see that ending the way PS3 did. With a price drop.
    HAHAHAHAHA! To everyone who said my high guess at the opening price was too high, EABOD! HAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHAHA! To everyone who said my high guess at the opening price was too high, EABOD! HAHAHAHAHA!

I can't honestly believe they went for it. The PS3 did horribly until it dropped to $300.

• Heard it here first, the PS3 is going to be 550 :-p
    Pretty good! But someone who has been playing longer still has an advantage over a nub because they have "earned" more.
    Well yeah, No denying that. Still, an improvement is an improvement, I guess. It seems a number of F2P games are starting to head in that direction, too - though I will note that PVE free to plays don't look to be stopping that shit anytime soon - but it's less of an issue there, because there's not direct competition. Still, It's a space that's worth keeping an eye on in the future.
  • Civ V confirmed multiplayer changes!
  • Nice!
  • edited June 2013
    Sounds like they will allow you to choose between pure simultaneous, pure turn based, or a hybrid mode that engages in turn based mode for combat. Also pitboss/e-mail.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Sounds like they will allow you to choose between pure simultaneous, pure turn based, or a hybrid mode that engages in turn based mode for combat. Also pitboss/e-mail.
    SOLD! Now waiting for a Steam sale.
  • You fool, you just missed it.
  • You fool, you just missed it.
  • Beginning July 1st XBoz Gold gets you two free games per month. Perhaps Fable 3 is the first? Makes it less bullshit.
    Oh thats pretty cool. PS+ still the best tho 8-)
  • edited June 2013
    There will be other sales soon I'm sure.

Also maybe they should have talked up the multiplayer options!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
    For that price you most certainly would be better off spending a couple hundred more and getting a decent PC. With the money you'll save on PC games the payoff will occur pretty soon.

I can't honestly believe they went for it. The PS3 did horribly until it dropped to $300.

I saw this coming a mile away. The hardware specs, inflation, the lack of competition: non-Nintendo consoles will start around $500 from now on.

I saw this coming a mile away. The hardware specs, inflation, the lack of competition: non-Nintendo consoles will start around $500 from now on.
    Welp, good thing I went PC two years ago. I'll just get the Wii U for my Nintendo exclusives and be on my way, consoles. There's very little the PS4 can do to win me over.
  • edited June 2013
    £430 ($670) for the Xbox is pretty laughable also.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited June 2013
    Is it just me or are all the interesting games that are coming for Xbox one, non-exclusive? I skimmed through a list of games that Microsoft revealed for Xbox one and from those Metal Gear Solid 5 and Witcher 3 interested me most and nether is exclusive.

Of course that's good for me and other people who are interested of good games and don't care for buying new Xbox.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • XBox never gets many exclusives, probably mostly because they don't really need them to sell systems, but also partly cause they have a pretty singular market. A lot of Sony/Nintendo exclusives are localized Japanese releases where both systems have a fairly large and completely different-from-america kind of market.
  • The way I see it if a game is going to be on Xbox/PS it will also be on PC. Nintendo is the only console that seems to be getting exclusives so why bother buying next gen when I can just get a better PC?
  • The way I see it if a game is going to be on Xbox/PS it will also be on PC. Nintendo is the only console that seems to be getting exclusives so why bother buying next gen when I can just get a better PC?
    Sure. I'm in PC camp these days and won't get next gen console outside of 3DS, but handhelds are their own little thing anyways. But I just exclude PC form console discussion, because all "which console is best?" discussions can be shut down with saying PC and that's not interesting.