This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• Pac-Man Championship Edition DX coming to Steam on September 25, 2013:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/236450/?snr=1_7_15__13
    thank the gods!!

• thank the gods!!
    Does that entirely eliminate your need for a 360?
  • Still no Geometry Wars 2.
  • Forgot about that one. No chance of that one making the leap probably.
  • I actually have rock bad 3 + ultra fancy real guitar and SFIV for 360, but I never play them. I think I have some other 360 games as well, such as half minute hero, but I can rebut them on Steam.
  • Why can't Humble Bundle better separate the steam codes for games? I got the current bundle because it has a few games I do not have and a few I do. I thought I could pass along codes for some that I have.

No... They bundled the games in groups of threes and each group is a mixture of games I do and do not have. I even paid above average to get the bonus games and they arranged them in such a way that it wasn't even worth it.

In the past Humble Bundles have provided one code per game and not this bundle BS. I have the same problem with steam bundles. If I already have the game just let me gift it or convert it into a never expiring half off coupon that I can trade away?
  • edited August 2013
    Why can't Humble Bundle better separate the steam codes for games? I got the current bundle because it has a few games I do not have and a few I do. I thought I could pass along codes for some that I have.

No... They bundled the games in groups of threes and each group is a mixture of games I do and do not have. I even paid above average to get the bonus games and they arranged them in such a way that it wasn't even worth it.

In the past Humble Bundles have provided one code per game and not this bundle BS. I have the same problem with steam bundles. If I already have the game just let me gift it or convert it into a never expiring half off coupon that I can trade away?
    These bundles are primarily marketing; in the Deep Silver bundle, a lot of those games have sequels out or coming soon. They want to draw you in with the game you want and the have you to try all of them and maybe get interested enough to get the follow-ups.

If you can cherry pick them then you'll just get rid of the ones you're not interested in, or already have, by giving them to people who do want them, eliminating them as potential paying customers.

Also it's basically a way of marking those codes as "not for resale".

The past, consumer friendly bundles were put out by less mercenary or more hungry / idealistic publishers.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • I get really tired of copying and pasting so many codes so I thought the latest bundle was nice.
  • GameStop sued in fraud case.

The judge denied them the chance to dismiss this class-action lawsuit, so they'll have to move forward with it.
  • The drive with all of my steam games is nearly full. I don't want to deal with the aggravation associated with replacing my hard drive so...

If I add a second drive into my computer can I split the steam games over both drives or do they all have to sit on the same physical drive? Is it possible during he installation (under steam) to have the game install somewhere else?
  • I'm not sure about that. What you could do is create symbolic links (shortcuts) in your games folder to the games on another drive.
  • Steam added the feature to install games to different locations many moons ago. In Steam there is a dialog box that lets you add more library folders. Then whenever you install a game it will give you a pop-up that lets you choose which library folder to install that game into. If you have a game you want to move, you have to uninstall and reinstall it in a different location.
  • edited August 2013
    Yes, Steam lets you manage multiple install locations. I have my "fast" games on my SSD, where the Steam client is installed, but most of my games are on a 2TB spinning disk.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Was thinking of getting a 120GB SSD but 250s are now cheaper per GB.

Once you have the new drive in, you have to:
    1) Create a new Steam library folder on the drive.
    2) Install a small game to it to populate the CommonApps folder
    3) Move games to it.
    4) Go into Steam and "Delete local content" for the games you moved.
    5) Reinstall said games, selecting the new folder.
    6) Wait for the files to be discovered, some extra updates may be downloaded.
  • Pay Day 2 is out!

Finally I can live out all my Heat dreams!
  • Yeah it's downloading as I type.
  • Grey and I were playing last night(and all last week with the beta).

Oh shit it's so good.
  • Have not read this yet, no time tonight probably, but the headline sounds interesting.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/198230/Researchers_break_strategy_game_competition_down_to_a_science.php
  • "If the Terran has a low growth rate and the Zerg a high one"?
    It's considered accepted that the Zerg have to expand much faster than the other two races. The Protos are known for being able to turtle up then overwhelm late game.
  • Yeah... reading the paper now and I am not impressed.
  • 2DS is the new GBA Micro
  • Exactly. Releasing handhelds years after they might have ever been relevant.
    Except 3DS is barely at the point that it's relevant in the first place.

Except 3DS is barely at the point that it's relevant in the first place.

I just mean that a graphical upgrade to the DS that didn't include 3D and was tablet shaped may have been topical in like, 2010. Now it's just silly and unnecessary.
    Similarly, the GB Micro was really awesome...Except it came out a year after the DS could already play GBA games and have variable backlighting. It's features were a step up from the GBA SP a few years too late. I never got an SP, but I would've upgraded to a Micro if I hadn't gotten my DS first.

• I just mean that a graphical upgrade to the DS that didn't include 3D and was tablet shaped may have been topical in like, 2010. Now it's just silly and unnecessary.
    Similarly, the GB Micro was really awesome...Except it came out a year after the DS could already play GBA games and have variable backlighting. It's features were a step up from the GBA SP a few years too late. I never got an SP, but I would've upgraded to a Micro if I hadn't gotten my DS first.
    Are you maybe thinking that the 2DS is an alternative DS? Because it isn't. It's 3DS, just without the 3d function, but it runs 3DS games and software, from what I understood.

And thus I think that's timed right, or at least as right as silly thing like that can be timed.
  • I just mean that a graphical upgrade to the DS that didn't include 3D and was tablet shaped may have been topical in like, 2010. Now it's just silly and unnecessary.
    Are you maybe thinking that the 2DS is an alternative DS? Because it isn't. It's 3DS, just without the 3d function, but it runs 3DS games and software, from what I understood.

And thus I think that's timed right, or at least as right as silly thing like that can be timed.
    I know what it is.
    I'm saying, it's actually an upgrade to the DS, whereas this is a downgrade to the 3DS targeted at an audience that doesn't need targeting. This is basically a baby's first tablet/handheld device that they won't even take with them places. It's like those simple electronic games that kids often have, with a single game and screen. Except this one has multiple games.
    It's an audience that didn't need targeting by Nintendo.

• edited August 2013
    2DS is an alternative DS? Because it isn't. It's 3DS, just without the 3d function, but it runs 3DS games and software, from what I understood.
    The 3DS has an on/off switch for the 3D effect. If you own a 3DS (or any other variation of DS), you already have a 2DS. There's no reason to buy this if you already own one.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I don't get the hate for the 2DS. I quite like the look of it. If it was 99 dollars I'd probably get one just to play Mario and Zelda games on the go.
  • 2DS is the new GBA Micro
    not even close. The GBA Micro is awesome. The 2DS is only awesome if you are under 7 and your parents are broke. Not hating on it, just acknowledging it's not for me and moving on. Heck, it wouldn't shock me if it actually sold reasonably well.