This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• Konami's understanding of a female soldier.
  • Maybe the trick is someone tries to pick her up thinking shes a prostitute, then she shoots them.
  • Her name is Quiet on account of being a mute. Silent but violent....
  • edited September 2013
    The actor for the character claims there is some reason for the way she's dressed that makes sense. Dunno what that'll mean.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Standard issue army thong?
  • edited September 2013
    The actor for the character claims there is some reason for the way she's dressed that makes sense. Dunno what that'll mean.
    I've seen a few from other people, such as "She's sniping in the desert"(yeah no) and "She's got handwavey technology in her skin that can make her invisible so it's of benifit to her combat abilities as a sniper to wear less"(despite that they already manage effectively the same thing without stripping down to their strides.)

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2013
    I can't wait to hear her excuses so we can shoot them down with logic.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited September 2013
    I've seen a few from other people, such as "She's sniping in the desert"(yeah no) and "She's got handwavey technology in her skin that can make her invisible so it's of benifit to her combat abilities as a sniper to wear less"(despite that they already manage effectively the same thing without stripping down to their strides.)

The first thing I thought was camo as well but... yeah.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Strong Female Character.
  • I'm willing to give Kojima the benefit of the doubt, because even though his characters often have dumb designs, they tend to have a fair bit of nuance.
  • I'm willing to give Kojima the benefit of the doubt, because even though his characters often have dumb designs, they tend to have a fair bit of nuance.
    It's true, I suppose he has proven to be a pretty good filmmaker, even if he keeps inserting those weird little game-play bits between his feature-length cut-scenes.
  • Haha, I thought I was posting that on my own forum.
  • Strong Female Character.
    She was going to run into battle in a bikini but was told she has to wear tights and boots. Total bummer.
  • edited September 2013
    And his statements before the internet blew up at him were really somewhat different.

Yeah, frankly, I don't think Kojima has it in him to make me feel bad for saying "Kojima, that's fucking stupid, what the fuck are you doing." Especially with something as simply fuckin' dumb as this. Seriously, it makes Sniper Wolf's costume look entirely normal and reasonable. Or the covert ops woman in another one of the games that wore overalls - with her baps out, unzipped roughly to the knees. To be fair, though, sniper wolf did have a relatively deep and compelling reason to change her costume during the game - She put on a jacket when she was cold.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • There's one thing that this doesn't adress - If you're sniping out in the desert in that kind of clothing, no matter how good your story is, you're pretty much going to fuckin' die. The desert sun and dry air are not kind. I mean, even sniper wolf put on a jacket when it got real cold, can't you chuck on a poncho or something?
  • Why am I seeing this as analogous to when Robert Downey Jr wore blackface for that comedy about Vietnam?
  • Yeah. For me it's less about the objectification (Everyone in MGS is objectified) and more about the impracticality and the ridiculousness. If it was another form-fitting outfit with secret technology in it that showed off how ludicrous her proportions were, whatever. Instead, she has exposed skin everywhere that's gonna sit and burn to a crisp. If it doesn't get shot first.
  • Yeah. For me it's less about the objectification (Everyone in MGS is objectified) and more about the impracticality and the ridiculousness. If it was another form-fitting outfit with secret technology in it that showed off how ludicrous her proportions were, whatever. Instead, she has exposed skin everywhere that's gonna sit and burn to a crisp. If it doesn't get shot first.
    Nah dawg she's a sniping professional with a deep story, gotta work on that tan so she can go to the beach on her hols.

• Tots. Her and Otakon gotta watch teh animu on their downtime.
  • Spends her sunday afternoons shipping Yoko and Saito, but Golgo 13 is her true Waifu.
  • If this was the actual plot of MGS, I don't think I'd be surprised.

That's what scares me.
  • edited September 2013
    Yeah. For me it's less about the objectification (Everyone in MGS is objectified) and more about the impracticality and the ridiculousness. If it was another form-fitting outfit with secret technology in it that showed off how ludicrous her proportions were, whatever. Instead, she has exposed skin everywhere that's gonna sit and burn to a crisp. If it doesn't get shot first.
    Simple.

The cause of, and solution too, all of life's MGS's problems.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • The actor for the character claims there is some reason for the way she's dressed that makes sense. Dunno what that'll mean.

This whole Metal gear thing is really dumb. In Metal Gear solid you found Myrlle by how she wiggled her butt, in Sons of Liberty Ridan was designed to appeal to women and was shown pretty much in the buff for most of it. Hell there is also Eva and butch Naked Snake, and lets not get started on the Beauty and Beast squad. This shit has been around for a while its nothing new. Wait for the game to come out instead of jumping on the "hurf a durf" train that seems to be prevalent.

Whats more worrying is that people are chill with the child soldiers that you see. That should cause far more of a stir but then again dem tits yo.
  • I liked Metal Gear 1...
    I did too and then I played the MSX version and learned better.
    I did too and then I played the MSX version and learned better.
    I think I had a copy for the GBA? Can't really remember.
  • edited September 2013
    This whole Metal gear thing is really dumb. In Metal Gear solid you found Myrlle by how she wiggled her butt, in Sons of Liberty Ridan was designed to appeal to women and was shown pretty much in the buff for most of it. Hell there is also Eva and butch Naked Snake, and lets not get started on the Beauty and Beast squad. This shit has been around for a while its nothing new. Wait for the game to come out instead of jumping on the "hurf a durf" train that seems to be prevalent.
    It's the dumb explanations from people with no extra information about the game, and acting like it's stone cold fact that excuses everything that bothers me, not that Kojima has a long record of putting dumb shit in his games.

Also, just as a quick note, the fact he's done this same dumb shit before doesn't excuse doing the same dumb shit again. And the people going "Oh, but nobody complained about it before!" are wrong - people certainly complained, it just wasn't nearly as widespread.
    Whats more worrying is that people are chill with the child soldiers that you see. That should cause far more of a stir but then again dem tits yo.
    Wait, so we DO have to wait until the game comes out to criticize Quiet's character design, but we DON'T have to wait to critique the child soldiers who we know even less about? That doesn't make sense. And that's before we even get to the ideas of false equivalency or that these issues do not invalidate each other - Kojima can certainly fuck up child soldiers AND have a shitty portrayals of women in the game.

And why would we get outraged about the fact that child soldiers are portrayed in the game in the first place? The only thing we know right now is that they're in the game in some form, and the controversy would obviously arise from how that's handled(or mishandled, depending), not mere existence.
    Post edited by Churba on