This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Oculus Rift

Comments

• With RTS it would be like DDR with your hands, micro managing multiple units and kiting etc.
  • Knitting skills ftw!
  • The next level of nostalgia play.

• The Vive seems to have a holistic release in comparison to the Oculus (in terms of controllers).

The 2 packaged games don't seem interesting at all just from the videos but I haven't played them.

Oculus has the head start with games I would be interested in playing, but I'm still not buying either till post launch or seeing games / experiences that I will 100% do in VR.
  • I'm just laughing at the people who got huffy about the Rift's price being too high for them, and insisted they'd just buy the Vive instead.
  • The Vive coming with two motion controllers and two motion-tracking lighthouses, plus 2 (not very exciting) pack-in games seems like a good deal in comparison to the Rift only being $200 cheaper. But it is pretty funny that people thought the Vive would be some sort of budget option. Even Sony's unit requires some add-on processing unit, so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and it be more like $400-500, whereas everyone is banking on it being the dirt cheap alternative.

I was torn for a moment on which one I really wanted. I pre-ordered a Rift, and have a March slot. There's not way I'm switching. As much as I trust Valve, I don't trust HTC in the long run. Oculus, I have no history with as a consumer, but everything I see tells me they are not fucking around, and are going to deliver the polished experience.
  • Yeah I think for now I'm just gonna stick with my Oculus preorder.
  • Matt said:

They are not fucking around, and are going to deliver the polished experience.

Truth.

• HoloLens looks like absolute shit. It's impressive in a technical sense, but it seems much further away than VR. Yes, AR will be amazing when it is ready, but there's enough holding it back right now that I'm not paying too much attention. The sharpest critique I'd seen was painting Microsoft's attempt to push gaming on HoloLens as "the next Kinect"
  • Matt said:

HoloLens looks like absolute shit. It's impressive in a technical sense, but it seems much further away than VR. Yes, AR will be amazing when it is ready, but there's enough holding it back right now that I'm not paying too much attention. The sharpest critique I'd seen was painting Microsoft's attempt to push gaming on HoloLens as "the next Kinect"

I'm pretty sure it's currently a computing problem at the moment which is why the FOV is so small currently.

• I think I'm actually going to hang back after watching a few interviews with Oculus employees. Every second word was "social", every 6th word was "Facebook", very little was about the experience.

Also giving an Xbox controller with the unit was justified by "we don't know what people want to use the device for or how they will use the device". Why give an Xbox controller at all then? If people use controllers at home they will already have it, if they want to use a keyboard, they will already have it. The only thing they won't have are the VR Oculus controls!

However Palmer Luckey gave pretty great response to why Oculus doesn't support Mac.

Based on their mark-up for 32gb of notebook RAM (~$700) on the iMac, adding an acceptable video card to a Mac would cost $1700.
  • The Vive has access to some of the more interesting properties of our time.
    Repairing Robots at Aperture;
  • Who writes these scripts for Portal? They crack me up.
  • I had a feeling something like this might happen. Shit.
  • Daikun said:

I had a feeling something like this might happen. Shit.

Just means play pens are going to be a thing for adults now too.

Or at least more adults than before.
  • There were stories of people throwing Wii-motes at TV screens. Also stories about people being hit by cars when walking and looking at phones. People get used to new technology pretty quickly.
  • For those yet to upgrade their GPUs' to GTX970 like myself, you might want to hold off till May.

GTX 1080 is getting ready to burn a lot of holes in many wallets.

• Oculus will be here in two weeks. I hope. I couldn't wait.

I can't wait.
  • Werewolf VR

That's it. Sony wins the VR race.
  • Can't tell if serious.
  • For people with a powerful PC and no PS4, Oculus is still cheaper.
  • edited March 2016
    $399*

*Does not include required camera

Also performance and visual fidelity isn't on par with the other two HMDs. There is a trade-off with that price.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Cheap doesn't always win, e.g. Blu-Ray.
  • If that is their target price, I suspect there will also be a bundle that comes with the camera for $449.

This seems to be a play to get something out at a cheaper price to create buzz, and then iterate on it over the next couple years with newer models that just replace the existing one at the same price. Pretty much the same thing they do for all of their hardware.
  • Andrew said:

$399*

*Does not include required camera

Also performance and visual fidelity isn't on par with the other two HMDs. There is a trade-off with that price.

This should be common knowledge but it doesn't seem like it. I haven't seen many articles comparing all the HMDs, their limitations and requirements.

In terms of fidelity and performance:

Samsung Gear VR

PS VR
    Oculus
    HTC Vive

I imagine the user experience would be very different on each, such that they almost can't be compared. You could choose by price & hardware, but ultimately it's the software that will sell the devices.

I have more confidence in Oculus & Vive to be well supported. More so for Oculus.

• Launch lineup