This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• But Akagi totally hurt my eyes and it was difficult to maintain me getting into it.
    Bollocks. The manga art is worse and that's perfectly readable. The anime just pans for you, so what?
    Also, a show about something as uninteresting as Mahjong doesn't help it either.
    Dear lord that is so wrong. It looks like you're as blind as Scrym when they reviewed the show. Mahjong is merely the game, it could have been Tic-Tac-Toe and it would still be crazy. If you think the show is about mahjong you're a fool mistaking the décor for the story.
    Please. I need some more complete fucking nonsense to shovel into my eyeholes.
    Dear fucking lord, no. Do NOT do it. Seriously man, don't. I speak from experience here, having suffered at Churba's hand as it hands out some of the most atrocious manga you can imagine, and can not imagine. Stay away if you hold your sanity dear.
  • Your warnings have served only to heighten my interest.
  • Your warnings have served only to heighten my interest.
    I was my hands clean of this one. You will have to tie your own razorblade noose.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    It's not like he is into ecchi, ero manga, right? I know he is into the romantic stuff, which is not the worst thing ever, but better than hentai, ecchi, or the like; right?

In my eyes, reading trash is good because it shakes things up and it provides a good balance. Also it helps to restructure your thinking as to what you is bad.
    Your warnings have served only to heighten my interest.
    As well as me. PM me sometime, Churbs, and tell me what this trash is. Is it lovely filth like M.D. Geist or The Room?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • It's not like he is into ecchi, ero manga, right? I know he is into the romantic stuff, which is not the worst thing ever, but better than hentai, ecchi, or the like; right?
    Yeah, something like that. Ahem. ehehe. Fuck it, I'll read anything.
    As well as me. PM me sometime, Churbs, and tell me what this trash is. Is it lovely filth like M.D. Geist or The Room?
    No PMs, I'll tell you out in the open, I have no shame. Not my fault if it ruins you.

• Lay it on us! We need some terrible filth to scorch our corneas with.
  • So what anime does one ave to have seen to pass the Forum's anime literacy test? I'm lately realizing how much anime I haven't seen that people say everyone has to see.

>inb4 Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Ghibi's, Kons, GiTS, Akira
  • I'm watching Utena and I love the Engrish way they say "revolution" in the theme song.
  • I just watched the Violence Jack OAVs (uncut).

I hate myself and want to die right now. That's what that show will do to you. Listen to Anime World Order's episode to vicariously experience the show.
  • WTF, why would you do that? Bad idea. I never want to see that. Darryl's review even made me unhappy, so I will never watch.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    WTF, why would you do that? Bad idea. I never want to see that. Darryl's review even made me unhappy, so I will never watch.
    I watched it to prepare for my "Great Anime Directors Besides Miyazaki" panel (I was thinking of putting Go Nagai on the panel) and I completely regret doing so. However, I get the feeling that this won't be the last thing that I will regret seeing.

Post edited by Geo on
  • But the Violence Jack OVA's were directed by Ichiro Itano...
  • Why would you choose Violence Jack to represent Go Nagai or Ichiro Itano as a great director?
  • Also, Go Nagai never directed anything. He's primarily a manga creator, and when he does work on an anime he's a script writer
  • I made a mistake there and I didn't realize it until it was too late Violence Jack entered my brain. I felt stuck and could not get away. Maybe next time when I do Great Anime Creators, I'll put Go Nagai somewhere in there. No Violence Jack will be put there, but at least I'll have an anecdote to tell and to tell people to not watch it.

Anybody know any others I can put on my roster?

I've got Satoshi Kon (for the end), Mamoru Oshii, Makoto Shinkai, Rintaro, Katsuhiro Otomo, Takeshi Koike (mentioning both Redline and its prequel, Travas), and Osamu Dezaki so far.
  • Needs more Mamoru Hosoda and Shinichiro Watanabe.
  • Watching first episode of Kaiji... premise seems too unbelievable so-far.
  • Watching first episode of Kaiji... premise seems too unbelievable so-far.
    Kaiji is interesting series, I watched both seasons, excluding the last episode of second season and can't really tell why. It was mostly entertaining series and I kinda like it, but I'm not sure if I could say it's good and wouldn't really go around recommending it. Also the second season went little bit too far with constant "false hope" situations. "It's gonna succeed, they got it now..." [Build tension] "No! It fails." "This time, it's sure, they get it..." [Build tension] "Nope".

• The first season is great. In the second season, the last gamble is drawn out for just a bit too long. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it though, probably the best anime of its type I've ever seen.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    Needs more Mamoru Hosoda and Shinichiro Watanabe.
    Did I forget to mention Shinichiro Watanabe? Shit. He was already in the presentation, so yeah I've got him covered.

As for Hosoda, I'm sort of on the fence on putting him in there or not. He only just got here in terms of directing standalone works that are not tied back to previous franchises. However, I probably might end up putting him in there.

Post edited by Geo on
  • His One Piece movie (#6) is really good.
  • His One Piece movie (#6) is really good.
    Go on, I am intrigued.

• Well, it's very Hosada and not very One Piece. There is still fighting, but it's very trippy and dramatic. He also directed the first Digimon movie which I still thoroughly enjoy. Especially because it's got the Bosstones up in the soundtrack.
  • edited August 2012
    Well, for a heterosexual adult male, it [Ouran Hosts Club] has mostly nothing to offer beyond the parts where it makes fun of girls who like shojo manga and yaoi. That's the part that I like it for. XD
    It's a funny show where you mostly agree with the protagonist when she calls bullshit on 90% of the shit the club does.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Well, for a heterosexual adult male, it [Ouran Hosts Club] has mostly nothing to offer beyond the parts where it makes fun of girls who like shojo manga and yaoi. That's the part that I like it for. XD
    It's a funny show where you mostly agree with the protagonist when she calls bullshit on 90% of the shit the club does.
    That too.

• He also directed the first Digimon movie
    Otherwise known as Summer Wars beta.
  • He also directed the first Digimon movie
    Maybe a little ;)
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    He also directed the first Digimon movie
    Maybe a little ;)
    Speaking of which...I got into this really banal and stupid fight with this guy I was kind of forced to be near, because we were in a class together, over Summer Wars and how he hated how it was so derivative of the Digimon movie and how it completely voided any enjoyment he could have gained from it...and he was not aware that Hosoda directed both. I couldn't believe it.

Post edited by Geo on
  • I finished watching The Big O today. I enjoyed the show up until the end. I have no idea what the final episode was about and was really disappointed that they didn't seem to answer any of the questions that the show had been asking since pretty much the first episode.