This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon X and Y (Generation VI)

Comments

• Ok, so Super Trainer (EV Training). I know that you can only max out two stats and the put a little bit into one more stat. But, reading on the Internet doesn't really tell you exactly what the effect is. It just increases the "base stat". What does that mean?

Do I have to super train a baby level 1 Pokemon to the max in order for it to be perfect? Or if I super train it at level 75, will it be the same? What is the way to guarantee a Pokemon is truly at max power?
  • EVs determine how many points are put into that stat upon level up. Therefore, if you max out the EVs of the two stats they will be as high as possible for that pokemon, also factoring in its Nature (which provides a boost to one stat and a drop to another) and Individual Values.
  • EVs are 4:1 EV:Stat point at level 100. The way to make sure a pokemon is truly maximum is:

1) Check it's IVs. There are various IV checkers online, but there's a guy in Killoude City that will tell you which are best, and if they're perfect or not. If you're breeding pokemon, follow this guide and buzz me (or someone else with perfect Dittos) for some perfect Dittos.

2) Check the Nature chart to make sure that the nature your pokemon has maximizes (or at least doesn't hinder) the stats you care about.

3) At some point, max out its EVs. It literally matters not when you do this since Black and White. In previous generations (DPP, RSE), Pokemon at level 100 weren't awarded EVs because they weren't awarded EXP. Other than that, EV train whenever the fuck you want.

4) Put some kick-ass moves on that sumbitch.
  • EVs determine how many points are put into that stat upon level up. Therefore, if you max out the EVs of the two stats they will be as high as possible for that pokemon, also factoring in its Nature (which provides a boost to one stat and a drop to another) and Individual Values.

See, it will be as high as possible upon level up. So that means I have to EV train the Pokemon starting at level 1 so that at level 100 it has gained as many points as possible, right?

And wtf "factoring in its nature" "a boost." That's not good enough. Explain nature in specific terms. Exactly how is nature calculated. Exactly what does it do. Vague language is helping nobody. Pretend you were writing the Pokemon board game rule book. What would you write?
  • 1) IVs (or Individual Values) are the "DNA" of a pokemon. They range from 0 to 31, and at level 100, 1 IV point = an increase of 1 Stat point over it's base stats (which vary from pokemon species to pokemon species and can be found on Bulbapedia).

2) Natures are a thing introduced in Gen 3. There's twenty-five of them. Twenty increase one stat by 10% and lower another stat by 10%. Five are "Neutral" (technically, they raise and lower the same stat by 10%, canceling that out). Yes, there are six stats. There's no HP boosting/lowering natures, so only five stats can be affected by your pokemon's nature.

3) EVs represent "bonus points" on top of what your Pokemon will have at level 100. 4 EVs == 1 Stat point, before the Nature bonus is calculated. You can put up to 255 EVs into one stat, and 510 EVs into one pokemon. Because only multiples of 4 matter, you should max out at 252 EVs in any one stat.
  • edited January 2014
    Apreche said:

EVs determine how many points are put into that stat upon level up. Therefore, if you max out the EVs of the two stats they will be as high as possible for that pokemon, also factoring in its Nature (which provides a boost to one stat and a drop to another) and Individual Values.

See, it will be as high as possible upon level up. So that means I have to EV train the Pokemon starting at level 1 so that at level 100 it has gained as many points as possible, right?

And wtf "factoring in its nature" "a boost." That's not good enough. Explain nature in specific terms. Exactly how is nature calculated. Exactly what does it do. Vague language is helping nobody. Pretend you were writing the Pokemon board game rule book. What would you write?
    I believe it is also retroactive, as stats increase during Super Training. So a level 100 Pokemon should just have all the proper points assigned to it during training.

I believe it's a max of 510 EV's, and no stat can have more than 252? Which is a max of +63 to a stat?

EDIT: Nature adjusts stats by 10% - one is adjusted up and the other down. If you examine your Pokemon, you may see one of your stats highlighted in red and the other in blue. The red stat has +10% and the blue one is -10%. This affects the total stat potential and level-up distribution.

Example: Mew has base stats of 100 across the board. Maximum possible stat value is normally 299. If the stat is hindered, the maximum possible value is 269. If a stat is boosted, it's a maximum of 328.

Stats have a range of values. With a base stat of 100, Mew's value range for a netural stat ranges from 205 - 299.

Stats have Individual Values (IV's) attached to them. A stat can have 0 - 31 IV's, which are just stat points.

So let's go back to Mew. Say we take a stat with a base of 100. If Mew has no IV's in that stat, its value at level 100 will be 205. 31 IV's? 236. EV's can contribute another 63 points. 299. Nature can boost or hinder these values by 10%. So a hindered Mew with no IV's or EV's in a stat has a maximum value of 184 (205 x 90%). Full EV training of such a Pokemon would add at most 57 (63 x 90%) stat points (bringing it up to 241) and if it actually had IV's, they'd contribute 28 points, bringing it up to the max of 269 (31 x 90%).

The formula for determining maximum stat value is:

IV + (EV/4) + (2 x base stat)

Modify the stat by (level/100) for Pokemon that aren't level 100 yet. Then factor in Nature (+ or - 10%).

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Apreche said:

EVs determine how many points are put into that stat upon level up. Therefore, if you max out the EVs of the two stats they will be as high as possible for that pokemon, also factoring in its Nature (which provides a boost to one stat and a drop to another) and Individual Values.

I believe it is also retroactive, as stats increase during Super Training. So a level 100 Pokemon should just have all the proper points assigned to it during training.

I believe it's a max of 510 EV's, and no stat can have more than 252? Which is a max of +63 to a stat?

That's the kind of talk I need, assuming the retroactivity is confirmed, and not speculation. The points is the one thing the Internet is not vague on. You can max out exactly two stats, and then you can add one point to one other stat. That assumes that min-maxing is your goal, and you don't want to go for a well-rounded Pokemon. (You want to min-max, duh).
  • Retroactivity is confirmed, based on the forumla used to determine a pokemon's stats (I spend way too much time reading Bulbapedia).

At every level, a pokemon's stats (Save HP) are determined by this formula:
    Because (since Gen 5), it's re-calculated after every battle, there's no actual difference when you get your EVs. They don't determine stat growth, they determine how much of a "bonus" the stat gets at level 100.
  • edited January 2014
    Whoah, so nature is a straight up multiplier of the whole thing? How is nature calculated? How do you change or increase nature?

Also, does the super training just effect the EV? How do you change the IV?

Hasn't someone just written a step by step checklist "how to max out a Pokemon?" I've searched, and can not find one.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2014
    I have never gone for min-maxing and never really been hurt by that. Then again I don't get into the competitive scene as much as others so you might want to add another grain to that liberal dose of salt you take with my advice.

Otherwise everything the others have said is true. the bonus points from EVs is updated after every battle. That's also why at level up you never get more than four points added to a stat. So yes, min-max right at level 1 and then not worry about unwanted EVs ever again.

Edit: And you can't affect the IVs or nature. They are set in stone when the pokemon is hatched/given/captured.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Well, even if I can't change the IV or nature after capturing, I can still affect it during breeding? How can I hatch a Pokemon with the best IV and Nature? How can I even tell if I've succeeded at it?

Also, how does evolution factor into it. If I max out a Magikarp, does it turn into a maxed out Gyarados?
  • Apreche said:

Well, even if I can't change the IV or nature after capturing, I can still affect it during breeding? How can I hatch a Pokemon with the best IV and Nature? How can I even tell if I've succeeded at it?

Also, how does evolution factor into it. If I max out a Magikarp, does it turn into a maxed out Gyarados?

IV's are set when the Pokemon is hatched and carry through evolution. I don't recall what evolution does to EV's.

EV's and level are the only factors you can control directly. The game itself will determine IV's and Nature beyond your control.

• Apreche said:

Whoah, so nature is a straight up multiplier of the whole thing? How is nature calculated? How do you change or increase nature?

Also, does the super training just effect the EV? How do you change the IV?

Hasn't someone just written a step by step checklist "how to max out a Pokemon?" I've searched, and can not find one.

Breeding guides are what you're looking for.

You can't change Natures or IVs except by breeding a new pokemon.

Nature is a 10% boost or bane to a stat. It never changes. Thus, that number will only ever be 1, 1.1, or .9.

Super Training just affects EVs.

If you're looking to max out a Pokemon for semi-real fighting with friends or online, you're going to need a few Perfect IV dittos (Dittos can breed with anything) and a basic knowledge of how breeding works. Dittos you don't get until nearly the end of the game, but I can snag a few if you really care. You're also going to need a Destiny Knot (It's in the hotel in Cyllange City) and an Everstone (Catch a Roggenrolla, or go to the mountainy city of "I forget the name").

If this seems like a lot of trouble, consider this: XY made it much, MUCH easier to get competitive pokemon. It used to be WORSE.

If you just want to max out a pokemon you have now, here's what you do:

Get a Reset Bag by tapping the Core Training "empty" punching bag until you get one.

Hit it until your pokemon's stats are reset.

Go through the Super Training regimens until you've maxed out the two stats you care about.

Maybe give it a cool held item.
  • Breeding perfect IVs is a long and tedious process that I have not engaged in but I did find this guide.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67535721

But basically if you know which stats you need to be maxed you don't need -all- perfect IVs and Bulbapedia has a list of natures and which stats get increased and decreased.
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nature
  • Apreche said:

Well, even if I can't change the IV or nature after capturing, I can still affect it during breeding? How can I hatch a Pokemon with the best IV and Nature? How can I even tell if I've succeeded at it?

IVs are the same when a pokemon evolves. A 6-31s Magikarp is a 6-31s Gyarados.

The best breeding guide I've found for XY is right here.
  • Making EV's directly controllable and mostly transparent was a great move. EV's are the single thing that will most affect a stat, so you now have much more direct transparent control over your Pokemon than in previous games.

Making IV's directly transparent would be the next big move.

Nature and Abilities are complicated and I forget how breeding works.
  • How do you even know what the IVs and nature are?
  • Making EV's directly controllable and mostly transparent was a great move. EV's are the single thing that will most affect a stat, so you now have much more direct transparent control over your Pokemon than in previous games.

Making IV's directly transparent would be the next big move.

Nature and Abilities are complicated and I forget how breeding works.

Everstones force the holding parent to pass along it's nature.

Pokemon have an 80% chance to end up with the same ability as it's mother. Fathers can pass down hidden abilities when breeding with Dittos.
  • Apreche said:

How do you even know what the IVs and nature are?

It tells you the Nature on the Pokemon's stat block in-game, and then someone else mentioned a guy that can give you a general sense of which IVs are strong/perfect. And those guides tell you how to do it so read the guide!
  • Real answer - Trade someone for the pokemon I want that are already bread with perfect IV/Nature. Then only worry about EV and leveling.
  • Apreche said:

Nature is completely transparent. I explained that already. Your Pokemon information screen will list its nature, and it may have stats highlighted in red and blue. Red is the boost, blue is the penalty.

Someone said that there's now a small chance for the father to pass along his ability as well? At least in X and Y? Someone told me that, but I forget who.

• Apreche said:

Nature is completely transparent. I explained that already. Your Pokemon information screen will list its nature, and it may have stats highlighted in red and blue. Red is the boost, blue is the penalty.

Someone said that there's now a small chance for the father to pass along his ability as well? At least in X and Y? Someone told me that, but I forget who.

That was me, literally two posts up. It's only if they're breeding with a Ditto, though. So male pokemon MIGHT pass on a hidden ability. It's like a 10% chance or something like that, though.
  • edited January 2014
    EDIT: I'm dumb and didn't read.

I think it was Judith, actually, at New Year's - and she was talking about males passing down their normal ability.

I think.

Maybe it was actually hidden abilities, because I think we were talking about Blaziken + Speed Boost and Greninja + Protean.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Conclusion.

I am going to just use my favorite Pokes with my favorite moves and maybe EV train if I am so bored.

I also do have to give some mad props to Pokemon, though. I just now realized that this crazy stuff is part of the theme. Why do you think there are always Pokemon Professors studying Pokemon?
  • Go to Serebii if you want to learn how to EV train. They give you all the infos.

They explain about the vitamins (which are just EV boosters), Pokerus (which doubles your EV gain in battle), EV-boosting hold items, and the max EVs you can accumulate and how to distribute them.

Don't expect to understand it all at once. It took me about a month of working with it to figure it all out.

They also tell you all about breeding. Which is nowhere near as difficult as you think once you understand IVs and hold items that allow parents to pass along various things. The only annoying thing is you usually can't check IVs in-game until after you beat the Elite 4.
  • I don't know if anyone else noticed but once you fully train your Pokemon in the Super Trainer, your vitamins (Carbos, Iron, Protein, Etc.) don't work on them, it makes sense since there was always a limit to how many you could feed them anyways, but it was a little disappointing.

All vitamins do is boost your EVs. Once your EVs are maxed out, you can't boost them anymore. That's why the vitamins don't work. All Pokemon have a max cap on their stats. You can't just keep raising them forever.

• So, when I am in cassius's box and it shows me my pokemon's stats are those the EVs or IVs?
  • edited January 2014
    Neither. Those are the stats your Pokemon will actually fight with. They are calculated as a result of IVs and EVs.

IVs, basically, are the starting numbers for each of the Pokemon's stats. Each stat has an IV. Low numbers mean low potential, high numbers (max 31) mean high potential. As the Pokemon levels up, that base number will be multiplied by a factor to give you your fighting stat.

EVs, basically, are bonus points you can add to that IV number to increase the Pokemon's potential in that stat.

When the Pokemon has reached level 100 and its EVs are maxed, it has reached its full potential. You could still reset the EVs and max different stats if you wanted to change its fighting stats, though.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited January 2014
    Also, and I know this is a bit out of no where but, who else was excited when one of the first pokemon you can catch was zigzagoon? I keep that little bastard on me always! Free Stuff? Who doesn't like free stuff? Ya know I wonder if the the economy has ever be affected by and zigzagoon infestation in the Poke-verse?
    Post edited by kravenoff42 on
  • The first wild Pokemon I saw (and caught) was a Pidgey, and then I was suddenly ten years old again.