This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon X and Y (Generation VI)

Comments

• The difference is in that it requires knowledge. It's a good feeling to know you were able to manipulate the meta and numbers of things that many are unaware of. It required you to be smart and plan ahead and do complex things.

But perhaps that's why so many people latch on to Cookie Clicker? It gives that easy sense of reward, that small dopamine booster, but without any thought required.
  • The difference is in that it requires knowledge. It's a good feeling to know you were able to manipulate the meta and numbers of things that many are unaware of. It required you to be smart and plan ahead and do complex things.

But perhaps that's why so many people latch on to Cookie Clicker? It gives that easy sense of reward, that small dopamine booster, but without any thought required.
    It would be one thing if you figured out the secrets on your own. But you didn't. You read the FAQ, which anyone can do. That doesn't require smartness. It requires literacy. Anyone who chooses to invest enough time WILL be the very best.

Even if everyone invested that much time at Super Meat Boy, most would never be able to win no matter what because they themselves are simply lacking.
  • Making a little man jump by pressing buttons is a skill, but manipulating a finite set of resources into an ideal configuration by pressing buttons isn't?

• Some games reward increased skill or knowledge. Some games reward time spent. Some games reward both to varying degrees.

Games that primarily reward time spent, where that reward is largely independent of skill gain, are dead to me.
  • So if the EV training were replace by a system that doesn't waste as much time, or by one that trained other skills then you wouldn't have an issue with it? In principle at least.
  • So if the EV training were replace by a system that doesn't waste as much time, or by one that trained other skills then you wouldn't have an issue with it? In principle at least.
    It's pretty simple to tell the difference. Do YOU level up or does the game level up?

If the Grand Pokemon Champion gave me their Pokemon cartridge and I read some FAQS, I would be able to become the Grand Pokemon Champion. If Novak Djokovic gave me his tennis racket, I would not even get in the door at Wimbledon.
  • Now you are comparing Pokemon to tennis?
  • In X and Y, Super Training is actually a skill-based minigame that affects EVs, as I understand it.
  • edited October 2013
    That seems to be a rational position to take. Thank you for explaining.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • In X and Y, Super Training is actually a skill-based minigame that affects EVs, as I understand it.
    That's VERY INTERESTING.
  • My friend who is a big breeder and trainer told me EV training does not matter much.
  • edited October 2013
    Yeah, I never gave a shit about EVs because it primarily relies on "secret knowledge" and generally getting invested into bullshit that only the diehards care about.

In X/Y, it gets boiled down into a simple, skill-based, optional minigame that's actually fairly fun to play. Like seriously, all of EV training, in a tiny minigame that anyone can play without prior knowledge. ++ for X/Y.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • So the EV/IV aren't affected by anything outside of the mini-game? You don't have to only play the minigame with perfect baby Pokemon and not use those babies for anything else ever until they are minigame complete?
  • I dunno if EV's aren't affected by battles anymore. Not sure. The way it worked before was that every Pokemon gave you different EV values when you beat it. So you had to fight specific battles for their EV's to maximize early stat growth.

I don't know if we now have both systems, or just the new one.
  • I dunno if EV's aren't affected by battles anymore. Not sure. The way it worked before was that every Pokemon gave you different EV values when you beat it. So you had to fight specific battles for their EV's to maximize early stat growth.

From what i have been told both systems are in place. There is also a way to reset your EV's which removes the need to start over with a baby.
  • all of EV training, in a tiny minigame that anyone can play without prior knowledge
    It's about fucking time.

• The best part of Super Training is that it is all readily visible, openly measurable, easy to understand, and available from the very very beginning.
  • EV training the pokemon and competing in the tournaments (in-game or with other actual people) is an entirely different game than the main plot of Pokemon games. It's optional, and it's basically a series of side-quests. It's something else you can work on for entertainment.
  • Whether or not there is also the battle-specific-Pokemon EV training in effect, the minigame training does allow you to fully train your EVs. You don't have to do both.
  • I Like the first two the best, and not because nostalgia.

The point of Snorlax is that he was big and blocking the road. The first one looks like he's an asshole blocking the road on purpose. The second one looks like he's just too fat to get up. Both of those scenarios are awesome.

The next three look like just a happy fat due. The last one is just Totoro with his mouth shut. Boring.
  • Caught my first shiny. A Nosepass, in a horde no less!
  • My party is rapidly approaching 30 and I still only have one badge. How much shit are they making you go through just to get to the second gym?
  • My guess, they want to make sure you get many of the optional features (daycare, xp share, berry farm, etc.) before too long in the game. I don't mind it, since they've greatly diversified the variety of Pokemon on a given route, it's worth the trouble.
  • My guess, they want to make sure you get many of the optional features (daycare, xp share, berry farm, etc.) before too long in the game. I don't mind it, since they've greatly diversified the variety of Pokemon on a given route, it's worth the trouble.
    This would be nice since they didn't give us the daycare in B2/W2 until you beat the damn game. I never saw the point of rushing through all the gyms as fast as possible. I like to actually have stuff to do in between so I'm not grinding to be able to beat the next gym leader after I get to the town.

• So the EV/IV aren't affected by anything outside of the mini-game? You don't have to only play the minigame with perfect baby Pokemon and not use those babies for anything else ever until they are minigame complete?
    I dunno if EV's aren't affected by battles anymore. Not sure. The way it worked before was that every Pokemon gave you different EV values when you beat it. So you had to fight specific battles for their EV's to maximize early stat growth.

EV's are still affected by battles, but basically everyone's agreeing that Super Training is far superior. Basically the only advantage the old method has is that you gain experience at the same time; Super Training is faster, more fun, and more efficient.
  • Yeah, I never would even have considered EV training my pokemon until Super Training came about. It's all fun and games, yo.
  • edited October 2013
    Confirming that there is a way to reset a Pokemon's EVs. After you've been Super Training for a while, you'll start getting some random training bags that don't boost stats, but do other things like double the EVs you get in the next mini-game, or make your shots more effective, etc. One of those random bags you can find is called the Reset Bag, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. Just horde those bags for when you need 'em, and when you're ready, you can reset any Pokemon you want and then properly boost the fuck out of them.

Also confirming that there is a modicum of increasing skill to the mini-games. There are three levels of difficulty in each stat, with the first level being basically brainless screen poking, and the second being more difficult but still kind of easy. The third level varies for different stats; I find the Special Attack and Speed games (the ones with Magnezone and Noivern) legitimately hard to get consistent high scores in, while the Defense and Special Defense games (Golem and Dragalge) are still pretty doable.

Once you have at least one Pokemon fully trained, you can also start doing something called Secret Training, but I haven't looked into it too much yet. From what I gather, it's a way to get certain rare or expensive items, like evolution stones and wing items.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • You also get Reset Bags from Core Training (the screen with the punching bag) by punching the "blank" (default) punching bag.
  • Ah, that's what I meant. I count Core Training under the same umbrella as Super Training in general.