This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon X and Y (Generation VI)

Comments

• Some games reward increased skill or knowledge. Some games reward time spent. Some games reward both to varying degrees.

Games that primarily reward time spent, where that reward is largely independent of skill gain, are dead to me.
    Earthbound, what a piece of shit.
  • Holy shit.

Eevees available in the wild.

Holy shit 6 Eeveeloutions can't lose
  • Holy shit.

Eevees available in the wild.

Holy shit 6 Eeveeloutions can't lose
    Oh shits! My sister loves the Eeveelutions to death, this is gonna hurt since she doesn't have a 3DS. >:)

• Some games reward increased skill or knowledge. Some games reward time spent. Some games reward both to varying degrees.

Games that primarily reward time spent, where that reward is largely independent of skill gain, are dead to me.
    Earthbound is about the story. It should remove it's pointless turn-based combat. That can be said for all JRPGs. Part of what makes Earthbound so great is the auto-win mechanic where it doesn't make you fight pointless fights. Also, grinding is unnecessary.

Earthbound is about the story. It should remove it's pointless turn-based combat. That can be said for all JRPGs. Part of what makes Earthbound so great is the auto-win mechanic where it doesn't make you fight pointless fights. Also, grinding is unnecessary.
    If you go with the rule of if I mathematically going to level up in less than 3 fights you will be at the perfect level at all times. Plus the story for its time was amazing, why you should play it with an auto fire controller and the fast forward button on an emulator.

If you go with the rule of if I mathematically going to level up in less than 3 fights you will be at the perfect level at all times. Plus the story for its time was amazing, why you should play it with an auto fire controller and the fast forward button on an emulator.
    Play on an emulator with a game genie/hax that makes all your characters max level and sets random encounter chance to zero. Only fight boss battles and be unable to lose.
  • So... Take the game out of the game? Why even play it? Why not just watch a video of all of the story elements and be done with it?
  • So... Take the game out of the game? Why even play it? Why not just watch a video of all of the story elements and be done with it?
    WHY NOT INDEED?

• edited October 2013
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Oh, it should be mentioned that grinding in X/Y has been virtually eliminated. You get EXP Share almost right away and it keeps all the pokemon in your party leveling up at the same rate, even if you only use one pokemon during battles.
  • Still doesn't give those precious EVs some people care about.
  • Oh, it should be mentioned that grinding in X/Y has been virtually eliminated. You get EXP Share almost right away and it keeps all the pokemon in your party leveling up at the same rate, even if you only use one pokemon during battles.
    OMG. Here comes Gyrados! Don't have to bring out my Magikarp and swap him away just to level him up.
    Use the super training mini game.

Exp share is 50% to the Pokemon who battled and 50% divided among the other Pokemon in your party. It ensures they stay fairly close in level and helps raise up the newly caught low level guys but you still need to swap Pokemon out for proper leveling.

EVs do not matter in the game. They only matter in competitive battling.

• Exp share is 50% to the Pokemon who battled and 50% divided among the other Pokemon in your party. It ensures they stay fairly close in level and helps raise up the newly caught low level guys but you still need to swap Pokemon out for proper leveling.
    The practice of keeping your lowest level pokemon first in your party is still recommended, but it doesn't take much more than that to keep all your 'mons leveling together.
  • I don't know if I am just playing the game slow or if exp rewards are higher but... Every time I get in a battle the opposing Pokemon are always about ten levels lower than mine.
  • Exp share is 50% to the Pokemon who battled and 50% divided among the other Pokemon in your party. It ensures they stay fairly close in level and helps raise up the newly caught low level guys but you still need to swap Pokemon out for proper leveling.
    The practice of keeping your lowest level pokemon first in your party is still recommended, but it doesn't take much more than that to keep all your 'mons leveling together.
    If you have a friend willing to help, and you trade Pokemon, that traded Pokemon will get bonus XP - so much so that it actually gets the full 100% from the XP share, rather than the normal 50%.

If you have a friend willing to help, and you trade Pokemon, that traded Pokemon will get bonus XP - so much so that it actually gets the full 100% from the XP share, rather than the normal 50%.

Traded Pokemon have always had an XP gain bonus, but they also had a negative as well, right? I remember that they are less likely to obey you, but I think there was also something else.

Traded Pokemon have always had an XP gain bonus, but they also had a negative as well, right? I remember that they are less likely to obey you, but I think there was also something else.
    AFAIK it's no longer "less likely," it's straight-up tied to the gym badges. You know how X gym badge has Pokemon up to level Y obey you? That's no longer true for Pokemon in general, only traded Pokemon. As long as you keep up with your gym battles, I don't believe there are any downsides to trading.

Exp share is 50% to the Pokemon who battled and 50% divided among the other Pokemon in your party. It ensures they stay fairly close in level and helps raise up the newly caught low level guys but you still need to swap Pokemon out for proper leveling.

False. EXP Share is all Exp to the lead pokemon, and half of the XP they would've earned in the battle to each pokemon without reduction.

They level up faster because of the exp bonus, so it is probably that since they'll reach your badge caps quickly

AFAIK it's no longer "less likely," it's straight-up tied to the gym badges. You know how X gym badge has Pokemon up to level Y obey you? That's no longer true for Pokemon in general, only traded Pokemon. As long as you keep up with your gym battles, I don't believe there are any downsides to trading.

Pokemon you captured always obeyed you perfectly. Pokemon that were traded would always obey you perfectly as long as you had the proper badge. If you were the OT, there was never a chance of a pokemon disobeying you.

False. EXP Share is all Exp to the lead pokemon, and half of the XP they would've earned in the battle to each pokemon without reduction.
    I stand corrected.

• tl;dr The new pokemon fixes everything that made the last few pokemon suck. OhgodIcan'tstopplaying
  • How fast does text scroll/pass when you talk to people and fight?
  • How fast does text scroll/pass when you talk to people and fight?
    It doesn't.

• edited October 2013
    How fast does text scroll/pass when you talk to people and fight?
    I haven't done a side-by-side, but it feels either the same or slightly faster than the previous gen. IIRC it does the thing where you can zoom by conversations with consecutive button hits. Battle speed, with fast text and no animations, also doesn't appear to have sped up significantly.

The key factors that reduced general battle suckage, for me, are that the overall number of battles necessary for appropriate leveling of all party Pokemon has been *dramatically* reduced, and there's enough variety of per-route wild Pokemon to keep any given battle more interesting.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Another factor: if your Pokemon has a higher level of affection for you in Pokemon Amie (which basically means you play mini-games and Nintendogs with it until it gets at least 2/5 hearts filled out), it will gain a further EXP boost after every battle. Also, as Neito pointed out a few pages back, the more your Pokemon likes you in Amie, the more likely it is to do awesome stuff in battle, like get extra crits, evade more attacks, survive with a few HP on what should have been a KO, and get over Paralysis, Sleep, and Confusion sooner.
  • edited October 2013
    Also, text speed is mostly the same, but there's some areas of the game (mostly Lumiose City so far) where NPCs' filler dialogue will pop up and disappear automatically when you get close to them or walk away, so you don't have to worry about getting stuck talking to someone who has nothing of value to say.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Has anyone tried Wonder Trade? It's fucking awesome. I got Fennekin, Steelix, and Plusle on my first few trades.
  • Yep, did a few Wonder Trades for fun. Mostly just first-route whatever, but someone did send over a lvl 25 Mr. Mime.